make my tweeter louder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
be aware that a series resistor affects the relative value of other components connected before it
change the series resistor value, and you have also changed xo function

my simple experimental xo :p

Attachments

• BASS 3way xo filter 2.png
    BASS 3way xo filter 2.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 64
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
So would that increase the xo frequency or decrease?

generally, when you lower impedance, a smaller series inductor will be needed
with caps its the opposite ;)

theoreticly, half impedance ought to result in twice the cap value
or double the impedance, and you only need half size cap value

but the reality is not that simple

one problem is you have multiple ressonance points/peaks with compression tweeters

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Just a note on the marking on that cap; the 475 refers to the number of zeros after the 47 in Picofarads so 4700000pF; or 4.7uF
Hopefully Sreten will chime in with the formula for reactance, I can't find my notes as they are on a dead computer, but when components are used in conjunction the frequency and the damping/peakiness of the reaction change. Google Linkwitz-Riley, Chebychev, Bessel and Butterworth crossovers.
LR crossovers are well damped and Chebychev are highly peaked.

ok guys, ive had a chance to listen to them today after the mods. and i have to say im still not 100% happy with them. so im going to put it down to the specific speakers. the delta having bad manners above 1.8khz and the tweeter being cheap china crap.

tbh, i understand being PA theyre not just about SQ. but, i absolutely hate those squawkey screechy PA systems that bands often get played through at my local bars n pubs. its just terrible.

so, as said, i listened today, at what i think of as moderate volume (as its in my garage and the next door neighbour is only 50m away :( .... ) but, with no EQ, they do sound much better than they did. still a bit dull in the very top end, (16-20K) and a tad bit vocal sounding.

so i then decied to turn on the EQ and give it a tweak.
heres what i came up with:

19082012327.jpg

on that, you can clearly see where the woofer is filtered and where its not, and the fact that the tweeter is clearly lacking in upper top end.

im happy with the fact that its not maxed out except for 20k. but, before the XO adjustment, i had to have 10k+ all maxed out to make it even sound like it had a tweeter.

heres the setup as is right now, in my garage, its a double, on concrete slab, with foam/carpet tiles, and brick wall behind it.

19082012328.jpg

center cab, isnt connected at the moment, but its supposed to be a kickbin, loaded currently with cheap 10inch drivers.( as i burnt the last ones ) its tuned to punch out 80-200hz (with decent drivers that can actually punch...) and has a 100uf filter on each driver to filter out low bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.