make a video input to excellent old tv set

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi folks

this is wierd !

i have a very old mitsubishi tv set with an excellent video tube in top shape (excellent gray balance & definition) no color wash.
tv works excellent but i want to add a video or if its possible
a s-video in for dvd.

if anyone have a transformer or isolation circuit to couple to
hot tv ground chassis ??

richt

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Not the answer you're looking for, but I had a simular problem with an old RCA. Might help you or someone else.

Use a VCR co-ax to the TV. Use the video in of a VCR to connect the DVD player outs for audio and video. Usually line 1 or input on the VCR switches it. Set tv to channel 3 or 4. And...your set, excuse the pun! ;)

Hope this helps,

Vince

ummmm....

Use a VCR co-ax to the TV. Use the video in of a VCR to connect the DVD player outs for audio and video.

vdi_nenna: Are you really sure that is what you are doing? There is a major reason this is not going to work: Macrovision. Yes, those copy protection freaks are killing off fair use by giving us this crap to deal with.

Every modern VCR and DVD player are Macrovision enabled (there are a few exceptions, notably some non-US made DVD players). DVD players will output a Macrovision "sync" pulse (or some BS like that) which VCRs will deliberately ignore. This is to prevent DVD to VHS copying, and it also prevents the VCR passing the signal through to the RF output. I have never seen the connection method you describe work in practice because of this. :(

Re: ummmm....

Silverpike said:

I have never seen the connection method you describe work in practice because of this. :(

Just a tip... My JVC HR-S3800U vcr works with this method.
Actually, using the S-Video, composite or RF to connect the vcr to the tv works. However, the macrovision kicks in when the record button is pressed.(so no taping DVDs!)
I have also tried this with a Sanyo vcr and an old RCA. The macrovision screwed up the picture in the sanyo even when not recording. The RCA worked, presumably something to do with it's age.

Also, if anybody has a schematic of a RF modulator that I can plug either composite or s-video into, I would be much obliged.

The RF modulation process would counteract all of the advatages gained by using S-VHS or component. S-VHS gains a benefit since you can bypass the TV's comb filter, composite because you can bypass the comb filter and color decoder. If you RF modulate these signals you would essentially convert them into a composite signal and RF modulate it to a specific channel.

Adding a composite connector to a TV depends widely on the TV itself. I've done it on some sets where it is as simple as disconnecting an internal RCA connector from the built in tuner and plugging in a composite source (or course then you loose the tuner, but you could fairly easily build a switch to change between the two). Others are far, far more difficult. Adding an S-VHS or Component input will probably be a bit of work depending on the TV.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.