• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Maida Regulators Redux

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
drj759 said:
Eli,

Don't know if the following is critical to your application:

The LR8 datasheet specifies a minimum of 1uf on the output to maintain stability.

Jackinnj suggests bypassing the adjust pin here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1112318#post1112318

Dave

A 1.5 muF./250 WVDC metallized polyester part will be at the O/P. Stability is a non-issue.

What's a good value for the adj. pin bypass? Is 10 nF. enough?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Eli,

I dusted off the LR8's that I haven't had time to play with and I experimented a bit with the adj pin bypass. I definitely would recommend using a 10uF across the R2 (the lower voltage set resistor) to bypass the adj pin.

I saw about 1.5 mVp-p hash on the LR8 output without the 10uF adj pin bypass. The hash dropped to less than 0.5 mVp-p with the 10uF cap.

Did the experiments at low voltage, 16V in, 5V out. A 1uF poly was used on the output of the LR8. The LR8 output was connected to a JFET configured as 3.5ma CCS load.

Dave

drj759 said:
Eli,

I dusted off the LR8's that I haven't had time to play with and I experimented a bit with the adj pin bypass. I definitely would recommend using a 10uF across the R2 (the lower voltage set resistor) to bypass the adj pin.

I saw about 1.5 mVp-p hash on the LR8 output without the 10uF adj pin bypass. The hash dropped to less than 0.5 mVp-p with the 10uF cap.

Did the experiments at low voltage, 16V in, 5V out. A 1uF poly was used on the output of the LR8. The LR8 output was connected to a JFET configured as 3.5ma CCS load.

Dave

I was making up parts order lists this A.M. for the owner to act on. 2X 10 muF./250 WVDC 'lytics to serve as adj. pin bypasses are on a list. ;)

Being anal, I've called for 2 protective diodes on each regulator. No prisoners are being taken. Since this is a low current situation, saying the PSU will roar (like a lion) is inaccurate. However, this PSU design will howl, like a scorpion mouse. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.