Magnetic turntable bearing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Clearaudio use ceramic pipe.The ceramic shaft has no ball bearing at the top side.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I will use this bearing in my DIY project. It seems like the work will take a lot of time, and of course I will publish some pics.

Master reference's platter height 80mm, weight ~8 kilogram , out limiter clamp ~1,5 kg, record clamps ~0.3-.0.4 kg total weight ~ 10 kg

After replacing CMB bearing platter literally float on air.
Watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOKzC3QJW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GqIoMqqkys

Thanks for the pigs. The video’s are quite impressive. It floats on air. Seeing this video I think I have to redraw my earlier remark that a magnetic bearing has no less resistance than a inverted bearing. And afterwards resistance is mostly heat and noise. So less resistance, less noise.

Can you estimate how many mm the magnets are apart from each other with platter and record on top?

electromagnet

The only way to have any control over this issue is (as far as I can see) to use a method similar to my own - I ring magnet and a second array of individual cylinder magnets set into a ring shape. By increasing, or decreasing, the number of individual cylinder magnets used one is able to customise the strength of the magnetic field and match it to the mass of the platter.

Why don't we use an electromagnet as the static (bottom) magnet? Then the strength of the magnetic field can be easily varied. We then can easily measure the difference in wow and flutter with varying pressure on the thrust plate. Would be interesting.

This of course leads to the question: is it possible or even easy to design a circular electromagnet. Will the magnetic field be more homogeneous than with a static magnet or the opposite?

Marco

deduikertjes said:

I'm investigating this. Up till now I can't find much info on making circular electromagnets and how to work on the homogeneity of the magnetic field.

But it's interesting because it seems to be new territory for turntables.

MArco

No it's not new territory. Tim De Parvacini of EAR has been working on it for years, in fact I think he still hasn't ironed out all of the issues with his design.

No it's not new territory. Tim De Parvacini of EAR has been working on it for years, in fact I think he still hasn't ironed out all of the issues with his design.

That's what I call "new territory" :D.

It proves to be quit difficult to make a large ring electromagnet to carry the platter. Now I'm thinking off an circular array off small electromagnets.

If I put 20 small super magnets under the platter, and 20 small electromagnets on the base I could even drive the platter with a approx. 10 Hz AC signal. I'm affraid that that would give nice unwanted resonances in the vertical so at first I'll try with DC electromagnets (or even normal super magnets).

MArco

Originally posted by deduikertjes

If I put 20 small super magnets under the platter, and 20 small electromagnets on the base I could even drive the platter with a approx. 10 Hz AC signal. I'm affraid that that would give nice unwanted resonances in the vertical so at first I'll try with DC electromagnets (or even normal super magnets).

What about two concentric rings: a stronger one for lift, and a weaker one for driving the platter?

Regards.

Aengus

What about two concentric rings: a stronger one for lift, and a weaker one for driving the platter?

Yes, and then angled so that one is lifting, and one is facing inward:
---...............................---
.+................................+.
---|+|....................|+| ---

(+ = a magnet field; -- or | is a magnet . is a placeholder for this drawing)
Tempting, very tempting, but a lot of work.

MArco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.