Magneplaner and or Apogee bass diaphragm excursion

what what what ? there secret is lower excursion and efficiency ? its not. so smaller excursion means larger foil. lower efficiency is fine but neerds power. if you look at the specs its not insane low. and its not big either. so ?
by the way lower excursion means usually higher efficiency for the same magnet. but you need more foil so the whole idea makes no sence

well it surprises me as well.. i cant imagine they be normal rubber magnet strips. if so.... efficiency would be rather low. then again by doubling that in PP in theory you gain 6dB... problem with distance in maggies when doing PP the gap is to small. and it only gains 2-3 dB. i never tried enlarging that and use biogger ones and see how that goes :) maybe thats whats going on. in any case i think crossing them like they do... might hurt efficiency again...
aah wel for god sake, i bought some bigger versions of my magnets and test for myself 9x6mm 150 meters :) instead of the used 8.5x3 see how that performs. it wont be stunning. but since they are hardly wider and i dont need the bass panel to play as high might be practical

the crossed flux lines of that design side step the difficult issue of assembling a large surface area push pull magnet structure. Thats likley the main reason for it. Yes more area of the diaphragm is driven too BUT when crossed over below 500 hz thats really not a big deal. Large area PP where like magnetic poles are aligned cannot be done in a practical way because the opposing forces are enough to levitate a truck. Not only do you have to make a huge robust jug to assemble such a thing, you also have to control the flexing and bowing of the magnet/ backing plates with such a large structure that the whole thing becomes an ugly mess.
BTW they may have patented it BUT im not sure if they were the first to do it. I do know that the idea was thought of nearly 20 years ago ;)

I have a design that has a traditional single ended magnet plate on backside BUT it is push pull so you can have a big area PP planer without the issues. Its completely linear throughout its travel ( about 0.3 inch pk-pk). However its only about 2 db more sensitive than a double magnet plate PP design AND it uses small width magnets to get the voice coil to voice coil distance down to around .25 inch rather than much wider apart like in many bass designs. It was originally proto typed as a "full range" driver and in this particular design that close VC placement was needed to avoid the ringing ya see in the diaphragm if the space between the voice coil centers is to far apart. This could easily be ramped up to use as a base panel in larger format
the mag assembly is easy BUT the diaphragm assembly is much more difficult than typical planer

well come on :) spill your beans ! i want to know what it was.. might be pretty similar to something i thought of or already made.. or not :) that would be even cooler.

and i agree that method of magnets alternating front back i've seen waaaay before. so not sure how they are patent that but hell :) who knows

well come on :) spill your beans ! i want to know what it was.. might be pretty similar to something i thought of or already made.. or not :) that would be even cooler.

and i agree that method of magnets alternating front back i've seen waaaay before. so not sure how they are patent that but hell :) who knows
yea probably thought of before. Basically the VC hangs down between the magnets similar to a typical cone speaker. Ugly thing to make

Why do the front and back have to be magnets between the foil, it only brings resonances, in the sound. I don't have any problems with apogee in the mid high.
Regards wollie
in the bass panel that really only goes to about 400 hz the higher freqency resonances from the magnet structures are a non issue. The appogee mid ribbon doesnt have this arraingment so a non issue there too

The bass panel in the apogees is the star of the show. the mid / treb ribbon is special BUT it has some issues more related to structural resonanses and dispersion
thhose who complain about apogee bass likley have a poor room setup and or a panel out of tune. VERY FEW have the room to make them sound as good as they can.