• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Magnavox 6BQ5/EL84 and Mr. Gabe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help

Hi all,

Since I don't have a power switch to install at the moment I clipped the white wire
attached at the far left of the terminal strip. I then clipped the purple wire to the right of the
white. I connected the white to the purple which should have completed the power to the
Red/Black and the Black. I then attempted to preform a Dim Bulb test with the amp. I put a
25W bulb in the socket, plugged the amp in, flipped the switch and... argh bright bulb that
should be dim. So, it appears I have a short.

What do I do next?

Thanks,

Alan

Attachments

• 100_0422.jpg
    100_0422.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 957
I just checked and the Mullards are indeed Blackburn tubes! :)

As far as the chassis swap goes - I know I won't be able to switch OPTs on the current chassis, which is too small for it and has lots of unsightly holes from all the controls being removed. Additionally, I've never been too keen on the exposed open frame transformers - seeing as how they aren't pet or visitor friendly.

Gabe,

Sincere prayers that your health improves! After a series of personal and professional setbacks, I recently emerged from the fog and have my life back. I listened to that amp for countless hours and still love it. But sometimes we have to "let go" to find ourselves. So, I recently gifted that amp to a dear electrical engineer buddy from college. He's a great musician and I wanted him to appreciate it as well in his home studio. I'll never forget that amp and now he gets to make a few memories with it too.

Robert

On my way to restoring one of these amps also, to add to my current magnavox collection: one 175-55, a 196ba, an 8601 and now a 9303. Can't wait to hear the 9303, i have a full set of mullards for it and i cant wait to finish it. Gabe i will be happily using your schematic for my restoration with the best possible components i can lay hands on, hopefully i can do it justice.
What really is hard to believe is how much bigger the output trafos on this amp are compared to the 195-55s trafos, and that amp is running 6v6 tubes and has bass for days, may this amp actually best it? :O

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
On my way to restoring one of these amps also, to add to my current magnavox collection: one 175-55, a 196ba, an 8601 and now a 9303. Can't wait to hear the 9303, i have a full set of mullards for it and i cant wait to finish it. Gabe i will be happily using your schematic for my restoration with the best possible components i can lay hands on, hopefully i can do it justice.
What really is hard to believe is how much bigger the output trafos on this amp are compared to the 195-55s trafos, and that amp is running 6v6 tubes and has bass for days, may this amp actually best it? :O

There have been some blind studies on output transformers and in general the performance can be rated in the size of the transformer. If you look up the details (if you can find them) you have the details then you'll find that inductance is the important part for bass performance and small transformers just do not have the space to hold enough wire to create that inductance at the required current.

I have the big boy Magnavox, the Concert Grand. 32 total tubes. 4 power amps (16 6V6's) Each channel is bi-amped into a horn and 15" driver. The sound very powerful. The sound is nothing short of spectacular even by today’s standards. It’s too bad we lose to many of these each year because people gut them and sell off the parts.

Not sure if any of you folks could help me, but I am working on restoring a 1959 Magnavox amp 196. I have no idea what load I should be connecting to the output transformers' secondaries since there are no markings on the chassis. I have a decent pair of 8 ohm cabinets I'd like to use, but not sure what was in the original console. Thanks for any info, it is much appreciated!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.