Machined Face Plates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
sulfuric acid tank ??

Oh, c'mon ya'll. It's just a bit of acid, just do it outdoors! Seriously, the setup isn't *that* costly, or dangerous (it's just oxidation.) You'll be anodizing everything before you know it... Hmm, what else can I throw in here... a roll of aluminum foil, some pie tins, a batch of L-brackets... here, kitty kitty:eek:

I looked into the procedure while working on an amateur solid rocket motor in an AL case and was surprised at how complicated it wasn't. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

Tim Smith

Hey Ralph great looking amp. You say you got plates up to 10mm from Schaeffer but Front Panel Designer only seems to go up to a thickness of 4mm. Did they just supply you with 10mm uncut sheets or can they actually cut holes it aluminium that thick?

Slightly off topic, but I'm building an amp at the moment that will require a 550mm x 400mm (22" x 16") top plate and will have lots of heavy iron on top. I was hoping to use Schaeffer but I was thinking that 4mm would be too thin and would bend under the weight of all those transformers. Does any one have any experience of using a top plate this size and have any idea what thickness of aluminium I should be looking at? I realise I could use thinner copper or steel sheet, but that would prevent me from using Schaeffer as they can only cut aluminium.

Cheers

John

John,

scheaffer also has only 4mm in their program but in the additional data you can state that you want it in 10 mm.
You can also give them a call, they have a superb service.
My baseplate is 4 mm and I have the weight of 2 660VA trannies on top of each other without bending.

Ralph

Thanks guys, I'll send Scheaffer an email or give them a ring and see what they can do for me.

There will be seven transformers on my top plate; total weight is something like 25-30kg, so that's why I was thinking that 4mm might not be thick enough. I'm going to arrange the design so that the heavier transformers are placed near the edges of the plate and not in the middle to try and prevent sagging, but I still think Magura might be right with 8mm as a minimum. I suppose it's better to over specify than to make an expensive mistake

Ralph was there much difference in price between 4mm and 10mm sheet?

Thanks for the offer Magura, I will be in touch if I can't get what I need from Scheaffer.

John

I have some 18" x 13" top plates from FPE. They are 4mm thickness.

On top of these, I have 1X1500VCT, 1X230VCT, 1X10VCT, 1X6.3 VCT, 2X10H chokes, and a Tamura F-2013... lets just say these babies weigh a TON (probably 60-70 pounds). I was amazed at the fact that the 4mm anodized aluminum could take this weight. I will probably put a small brace under the Tamura, which is in the center, but no bending so far!!!

The fit and finish of the work was excellent, but a bit expensive for my relatively large pieces, though MUCH better than anything I could ever make myself! Given the quality, and the engraving options, I would HIGHLY recomend FPE.

Just my 2 cents....

find a local machine shop.

if you cant find it in the yellow pages, ask around. call local tech companies, and as who they use to prototype their stuff...

i found some guy out in the country with a mullett that had some NICE equipment in his garage :) his work was absolutely perfect and very reasonable.

attachment.php

I used this company a while back to do custom meter inserts for a Neve recording desk with great successes:

http://www.rcicustom.com/index2.htm

And this company pumps stuff out with good quality at a value price too:

http://www.markertek.com/custom.html

The very best machine work I’ve had done came from Evan Matter at Vark Audio. The prices were great too. Machine work is his secondary business, I wouldn’t recommend him if your in a hurry, but I honestly believe that there is anybody who can beat his quality (and I’m kind of picky too). I’m not even sure if they take machine only orders, I had just bought a Nagra from him when I was having the other work done.

Vark Audio
8101 MacArthur Blvd.
Cabin John, MD 20818
Phone 301.229.0288

Evan also helped me build a custom servo focus motor for a television camera lens. A very intricate mount involving multiple radius cuts with precisely matched mounting to existing lens pieces.

One of his productised peices of equipment:
http://www.posthorn.com/Macvk_5.html

Re: new software version

GUILHERME said:
By the way, today I received an email from Scheaffer advertising a new release of their software (anyone who ever used their services should also have received it, I think).

Guilherme.

Just a pic showing front panels made from Schaeffer resently - these 3 panels was made for 108 € - (the same in $).
4 mm black aluminium plates.

Attachments

• frontpanels.jpg
    frontpanels.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 252
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.