Luxman: new DML units issued.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Luxman B12 specs: 15 mHz / 200V / 15A / 150W for 2SD665 NPN
12 mHz / 200V / 15A / 150W for 2SB645 PNP

With a luxman B12 and +-75Vdc on the raw rail supplies the output transistors meets the full voltage of 150Vdc.

One of the best ....the Motorola factory ( now On-Semiconductor) made some high quality MJ1302A / MJ3281A TO-3 power transistors with following specs: 200V / 15A / 30mHz / 250W . The MJ1302A / MJ3281A TO-3 are probably discontinued now :

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/motorola/MJ3281A.pdf

I only found some few of the above mentioned transistors on Ebay.......and on other locations 4800 miles away from Europe where the transistors were of dubious quality .\\¨~@¤$€£//grrr...:censored:

Anyone who knows 200V / 15A/ 10-30mHz / 150-250W TO-3 available transistor types ...in good quality ?:)

Best regards Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

I think I found the transistors I used: 2sc2608 / 2sa1117

kind regards,
Hans

Hi Hans,

Yes - they are even better than the 2SA909/2SC1586 specs.!! .

2SC2608 /2SA1117 specs: 200V / 17A / ft 20mHz .

I looked for supplier and found " Inchange Semiconductor" a Chineese company from 1990 and a strange supplier : Savantic Electronics, in United Arab Emirates and in Vancouver Canada.
At Ebay I found a few pcs. for 28 US$ each...a little expensive for those copies. The original Sanken 2SC2608 /2SA1117 has been sold out long time ago.

I might try Mouser and hear what they say. The old TO-3 transistors from "the golden age" are getting hard to find.

....but Hans, thanks for trying :)

Best regards
Kim

Hi Kim,

My stock is exhausted, otherwise I would send you some. I have to find a few to add to my stock as there will be a time these little gems are history. I used to have the sanken versions, but I think they are hard to find, but one might have some luck, as I recently found 20 couples of the Sanken power transistors of the L10, they are quite rare, I have also some Chinese of these but they are crap. I have put the Sankens in my transistor analizer and they are 110% !!!

regards,
Hans

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

My stock is exhausted, otherwise I would send you some. I have to find a few to add to my stock as there will be a time these little gems are history. I used to have the sanken versions, but I think they are hard to find, but one might have some luck, as I recently found 20 couples of the Sanken power transistors of the L10, they are quite rare, I have also some Chinese of these but they are crap. I have put the Sankens in my transistor analizer and they are 110% !!!

regards,
Hans

Hello Hans,

The B12 transistors are not the only problem.....if I may go a little off topic:eek: ...

I am about to repair two (2) Luxman L11 amplifiers ....the used Fujitsu 2SA1075 /2SC2525 120V, transistors from about 1979 (the first datasheet date code) ....2SA1075 pdf, 2SA1075 description, 2SA1075 datasheets, 2SA1075 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::..

I suppose that the rare transistors is out of stock as well? I could use the Toshiba 1943/5200 but they are not quite the same type.

Best regards Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Luxman design

Hi Kim,

Yes these 2SA1075 /2SC2525 are obsolete as well. But easely replacable by modern transistors as kind of these packages are still available.
Nice to see your L11's!!!!
regards,
Hans

Hi Hans,

The Sanken MT200, 2SC2922/2SA1216 might be used as replacement...also RET transistors....otherwise standard transistors in the MT200 house is also made by Sanken.

Yes, I like L11 very much .... the sound are fantastic, and it's quite liberating to see how Luxman engineers solved the amplifier tasks in the eighties when they also had to take the design philosophy into account.

Luxman is high in ranking of good sounding amplifiers with beautiful designs.....!

M12 is a milestone ... it is completely his own, unique and simple in appearance and extremely well built. However, I would have preferred fiberglass print instead of Pertinax PCBs.
The sound is a positive story in itself.
C12 / M12 should be placed at The Museum of Modern Art with C02. ......In my opinion.:)

The renovation of the M12 can be found at the link here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/vbkolsen/LuxmanM12Restoration

L100 one Luxman classic originally built for the U.S. market with a special mute function which is activated by touching the volume control button.

Renovation of L100 can be found at the link here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/vbkolsen/LuxmanL100Renovation

My pearl is the L58a ....one of the real classics, if not the most classic amplifer of them all...in my opinion.
https://picasaweb.google.com/vbkolsen/L58A1981#5646732161608285826

Last I would have given a piece of advice if one was thinking of buying vintage equipment.
Even very expensive McIntosh and AR get oxide coatings on relays and switches and capacitors which dry out .... but then I thought .....
everyone in this forum knows about it.:)

Best rgds. Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

I have repaired quite some M12's, most of them bad caps etc, but also a burnt transformer I have done twice, had to let make a custom transformer that fitted into the container of the transfo...

The L100 is also a beaty to see.

I have owned a L55A, the little brother of the L58A, but that was not at all my kind of beer........

kind regards,
Hans

Hello Hans,

Ok, I have never heard about a burnt power transformer in the M12 before. I shall remember that you known how to get the new transformertype to fit in the M12 shell.

I have recently received the Luxman M150, 1973 schematic and the LuxKit A3600 (Luxman MQ3600) schematic....free on my amateur page. The Luxman M150 and MQ3600 ...they are really beauties :).

As far as the Luxman L58a is concerned.....The L55a is another amplifier than the L58a . The L55a is different in the output stage, and uses the Sanken 2SC2581 / 2SA1106 bipolar transistors.
The L58a uses 2SJ49/2SK134 Hitachi MosFet's. There are some changes in the schematics between the L58a and L55a.
Besides that L58a has a lack of sinus power towards heavy driven speakers as the AR3a , the sound from L58a is just beautiful in midrange and with silktop tweeter details. :)

.......but as you put it when you said : "that was not at all my kind of beer"........it all depends on the ears that hear :)

Best regards
Kim

Ps. I shall upload the L55a schematic some day. There are some difference.

Hi Kim,

I have the schematics of the L55a, I have to check if I have the L58a schematics. Mosfets do not sound on my speakers and the L55a sounds reasonable depending on what speakers I connect it to, but the inside build is not nice. Compared to a L11, The L11 is much nicer in sound and much better constructed.
A C12/M12 or a L10 give the nicest sound on my Tannoys, The L10 is the best combination with my Monitor Gold 15's.

I didn't know that the L58a was a little power shy...........

kind regards,
Hans

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

I have the schematics of the L55a, I have to check if I have the L58a schematics. Mosfets do not sound on my speakers and the L55a sounds reasonable depending on what speakers I connect it to, but the inside build is not nice. Compared to a L11, The L11 is much nicer in sound and much better constructed.
A C12/M12 or a L10 give the nicest sound on my Tannoys, The L10 is the best combination with my Monitor Gold 15's.

I didn't know that the L58a was a little power shy...........

kind regards,
Hans

Hi Hans,

If you need schematic for L58a I have a pretty fine scanned copy on Picasa Web.:)

Ok, the Tannoy speakers can reveal much of an amplifier's secrets. Of dynamic speakers I seem to that Tannoy GRF Guy R. Fountain Memory 15'' has one of the finest stereo perspectives of all speakers. When not using tube amps and you lean towards a Luxman L10, I'll have to find a L10 and listen to. It must be very good :)

As for L58a and a little loss of power, the L58a only has one set of Hitachi J49/K134, and 7A per transistor is just a little under what the AR3a needs.

It is only because I have heard a dual set of Hitachi j50/K135 on the AR3a, which can better keep track of AR's woofer, where the impedance curve is difficult and often goes down in 2 ohms.
There are only very few amplifiers that can manage to go down in 2 ohms, and at the same time keep the good hifi sound intact.

For standard sensitive speakers the L58a has plenty of power.

Best regards
Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hello Hans,

Ps. I shall upload the L55a schematic some day. There are some difference.

Find the following Luxman schematic's free as jpg.files on the amateur site TUBEAMP .(It is not allowed to upload the jpg.file size below here in this forum):

Luxman M-02 , M-03, L55A, L58A , M150 , M12 , B12 , L11, C12 and Luxman C-02....more to come....:)

Use the magnification on Picasa Web for a clear view, and the image resolution should be appropriate for most of the mentioned schematic's :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

Can you send a copy of this L10 service manual to my email address? I have a paper copy but thats quite different from yours.

Thanks in advance,

kind regards,
Hans.

Hello Hans,

All 14 pages of the Luxman L10 service manual has been send to your email address mentioned on your homepage The Hilberink Web. .
I stayed to see whether your email did accept the jpg.files, and I did not receive any pages by return....I assumed that all pages were ok.

Best regards
Kim

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

kind regards,
Hans

Hi Hans,

If I may go a little off topic in the thread here? ..... Tannoy. I know that you have worked with Tannoy speakers.
Which type Dual Concentric Tannoy unit offers the best stereo sound in a room of about 25 m2, and which hifi unit should I look for, when one have two beautiful rosewood cabinets of about 60L without damping material? :)

Thanks in advance ... Kim

Hi Hans,

If I may go a little off topic in the thread here? ..... Tannoy. I know that you have worked with Tannoy speakers.
Which type Dual Concentric Tannoy unit offers the best stereo sound in a room of about 25 m2, and which hifi unit should I look for, when one have two beautiful rosewood cabinets of about 60L without damping material? :)

Thanks in advance ... Kim

Hi Kim,

You should look for the Monitor Gold 12' or the HPD 315, these are the nicest drivers for your cab size. Cabs like the Cheviot are very good and nicely upgradable to your personal taste. If you have any questions please feel invited to ask.

regards,
Hans

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Hi Kim,

You should look for the Monitor Gold 12' or the HPD 315, these are the nicest drivers for your cab size. Cabs like the Cheviot are very good and nicely upgradable to your personal taste. If you have any questions please feel invited to ask.

regards,
Hans

Hi Hans,

Thanks......I shall look for the 12" speaker unit HPD 315 for the 60L cabinet.:)

Best regards Kim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.