Luxman L-510 capacitors?

Hello,

New to the forum but not to Hi-fi.

I opened up my eyes a few month ago for Vintage Hi-fi and found myself a completely new World of really good amplifiers etc.

I bought myself a Luxman L-510 in really good shape a couple of days ago and It drives my Dynaudio X16 excellent.

I have looked inside the amp and It looks also really good and I can not see any particular leakage etc on the mainboard. Maybe it has been refurbished years ago.

I wondering where to find new caps to these amps? Recommended caps to use on these amps? This is just for future precaution as I will keep this amp for a long time. A Dream has come true to find a example as good as this.

Link to webshop for example :)

Any other things to look at or have as spare part?

So right now the amp works great but I´m interested to have spare at home in case of.

Br
Johan

Last edited:
The main PSU filter caps in this model always fail. They must be replaced. These are the big 15,000 µF (15 mF) 63 volt caps on the side, near the transformer. You can put anything here ranging from 10,000 to 33,000 µF, as long as the voltage rating is at least 63V.

Small signal transistors in the power amp (2SA992/2SC1845) also commonly fail, causing a distorted output signal.

Do not buy capacitors from small stores as you're practically guaranteed to get old, dried up parts. Always buy from huge sources such as Digikey, Mouser, TME, etc...

The main PSU filter caps in this model always fail. They must be replaced. These are the big 15,000 µF (15 mF) 63 volt caps on the side, near the transformer. You can put anything here ranging from 10,000 to 33,000 µF, as long as the voltage rating is at least 63V.

Small signal transistors in the power amp (2SA992/2SC1845) also commonly fail, causing a distorted output signal.

Do not buy capacitors from small stores as you're practically guaranteed to get old, dried up parts. Always buy from huge sources such as Digikey, Mouser, TME, etc...

Thanks,

Much appreciated. I will check with the suppliers You mentioned.

Br
Johan

I can not see any particular leakage etc on the mainboard.

I refurbished a lot of vintage gear and never ever saw leakage so far despite that the caps showed weird behaviour partly.

I start to think leakage is a bit of a myth - for properly rated caps.

I would replace them with same size modern parts. As modern parts are a lot smaller than the old ones, I would use higher voltage caps but keep the same capacitance preferably. Of course small increases in capacitance won't hurt.

In my experience it is operating temperature close to the upper specified operating range which deteriorates electrolytic caps. Rather old computer grade caps ( Sprague etc. ) which are rather bulky devices appear to be almost immune to high temps, while most modern - and relatively small - kinds are more sensitive. The effect is that the series resistance rises, the parallel resistance -leak - drops, and capacity drops, too. Professional power supplies for old mainframe computers had the caps as far as possible away from transformers and heatsinks as the reliability was specified.

Do You know what type of material in the capacitor to use? For ex aluminium, ceramic tantalum, thin film etc.

I found Digi-keys homepage but they got a lot to choose from :)

Br
Johan

Hi,

These are Pictures from inside of the Luxman amp.

Is these original caps?

Attachments

• DSC_2388.jpg
    DSC_2388.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_2387.jpg
    DSC_2387.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 237

Hi,

Can I use one of these?

NICHICON-73641

QTY ADD 22000uF / 63VDC, KG Series, Gold Tune, 50mmD x 100mmH, Solder Lug, Each

NICHICON-73619

QTY ADD 22000uF / 63VDC, KG Series, Super Through, 63mmD x 100mmH, Solder Lug, Each

NICHICON-73642

QTY ADD 22000uF / 80VDC, KG Series, Gold Tune, 63mmD x 100mmH, Solder Lug, Each

NICHICON-73620

QTY ADD 22000uF / 80VDC, KG Series, Super Through, 76mmD x 100mmH, Solder Lug, Each

Took apart the amp today. Have been busy on renovating vintage speaker and also in a Altec Lansing project.

The amp anyway looks new underneath. previous owner must have refurbished it. A 30 year old amp cant look this clean inside. The caps looks brand new.

Attachments

• tmp_13426-Screenshot_2015-06-23-22-00-13110869786.PNG
    tmp_13426-Screenshot_2015-06-23-22-00-13110869786.PNG
    493.5 KB · Views: 198