Lundahl for TU-8200

I‘ve had a few weeks with the upgrades. Anyone on the fence, just do it. It is well spent money.

My only regret looking back is that I wish I would have had the forethought to do one upgrade at a time. I upgraded the transformers, caps and tubes all at once. It would have been interesting to do one at a time and see really what changes occurred with each upgrade.

I do have a desire to build the 8600 now. How much of a difference is there over the 8200 sound wise? Thinking I could put that into a turntable only setup. Thoughts?

I just replaced the Cap and the transformers over the weekend. I immediately noticed the detail clarity and high frequency improvement. It really make the amp sound much better than the old stock transformers and caps.

I was really considering trying out the TU-8600S, but not sure whether it justifies the cost so Victor recommended the upgrade for the TU-8200. Anyway, The TU-8600S already went too deep into the subconscious so I didn't even wait for the newly upgraded TU-8200DX to break in and I ordered the TU-8600S last night!!

Enough great things already being said about Victor. He really desires to have a free dinner (from me at least if he is in my area) for his dedication and effort to bring all the great gifts to the community. It takes a lot of time to research and find something that is great in order to presents to others.

I‘ve had a few weeks with the upgrades. Anyone on the fence, just do it. It is well spent money.

My only regret looking back is that I wish I would have had the forethought to do one upgrade at a time. I upgraded the transformers, caps and tubes all at once. It would have been interesting to do one at a time and see really what changes occurred with each upgrade.

I do have a desire to build the 8600 now. How much of a difference is there over the 8200 sound wise? Thinking I could put that into a turntable only setup. Thoughts?

I would love to buy and assemble the 8600SVK amp as well and compare it to my 8200R amp. But the high price and the fact I do not really need another amp - have no place for it - does not allow me to go ahead.

Gentlemen, if you finish assembling your 8600SVK amp and are able to compare it to 8200, please share with us your experience about the sound differences. I will be very grateful for that. My amp is 8200R with Lundahls.

A question to Victor. I have heard a rumors that a new amp based on 2A3/300B is in development process now. Is that true? Do you have some more information about it, which you can share with us please? Thank you.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I would love to buy and assemble the 8600SVK amp as well and compare it to my 8200R amp. But the high price and the fact I do not really need another amp - have no place for it - does not allow me to go ahead.

Same issue here. I would buy a parallel 300B amp with two inputs without hesitation though.

A question to Victor. I have heard a rumors that a new amp based on 2A3/300B is in development process now. Is that true? Do you have some more information about it, which you can share with us please? Thank you.

He told me earlier that the 2A3 amp would be announced after the 8600S review in Stereophile-May, which has been released now. It requires new OPTs from Lundahl though as it does not use tertiary winding for local feedback. I assume they are still working on it.

Dear Férenc,

If you could choose between the 300B amp and 2A3 amp, what would be your choice or preference regarding those two types of tubes?
Pity is, that the possibility to buy 8600SVK is lower every day and the new 2A3 amp we have no info about it yet. I am afraid soon all TU-8600SVK will be sold out definitely. It is a drama for me :)

Joined 2018
Paid Member
If you could choose between the 300B amp and 2A3 amp, what would be your choice or preference regarding those two types of tubes?

If I wanted to use 300B then I would buy the 8600. When using 2A3, driver tube changes will probably be possible due to the lower heating requirements, similarly to the 8200. This is not really possible with the 8600.

Pity is, that the possibility to buy 8600SVK is lower every day and the new 2A3 amp we have no info about it yet. I am afraid soon all TU-8600SVK will be sold out definitely. It is a drama for me :)

This amp has been a big success. I am sure they will release it again with some minor updates and a new suffix.

I put the Lundahls in about a month ago and after a lot of listening, agree with previous posts that they are a great addition/enhancement to the sound of this amplifier. "Refined" is an appropriate adjective, along with a noticeable tightening of bass response. Easy to install, even for an inexperienced DIYer!

Hi all,
I have had the Lundahl OTs installed for about 1 month now.
I have the amp currently paired with Madisound Bk 16 full range foster speakers.
The improvement for me was more obvious actually in the high end. Cymbals sound more like cymbals,,, they seem to have more depth and there is an increase in micro details. It is like the hi hat and cymbals in music are more controlled and you can sense a more natural decay... It is great. Some tracks that I found sibilance a bit annoying, well not anymore... On bass, I know many have claimed an increase in body, and yes there is more of that, but in my experience, the leap in bass department was mostly fulfilled by paczeltf mods (highly recommended!).
I agree with Victor that actually this OT upgrade are more about revealing subtleties and elevating details to another level.

Greetings everyone... I recently purchased the Lundahl upgrade for my TU-8200. I haven't done any upgrades or maintenance on my amp since I put it together a couple of years ago. I am wondering what, if anything, you folks did prior to performing the upgrade to ensure that the unit was completely discharged. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.