Luminaria?

@cwtim01

... any progress?

Jean-Paul

Hi Jean-Paul,

It’s more a mental exercise, I don’t plan to post a full circuit here (Unless I’ve built/tested something myself with real components, the risk is too high for you or anyone else to try it ;)). Also, the main power supply is 95% similar with the original circuit published in the AudioXpress magazine, so I don’t think I have the right to show it here.

Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Good news, AudioXpress will feature LuminAria in this week's Audio Voice e-newsletter.

That means you'll be able to read and download the original article here:

You Can DIY!: LuminAria SIT Preamplifier | audioXpress

I'd like to thank the editors at AudioXpress for making this available and I hope you will be encouraged to show your support by subscribing.

I hope to have a new SIT preamp article for you this winter.

Mike

Last edited:
Still tweaking. :)

Hi all,

I built Luminaria with help from cwtim01 and also played with 2SK60, aiming at the half current of 2SK82 at the same Vds and Vgs. I used self bias and random choke load from my part box. I even tried Aikido circuit with eight 2SK60s and it has been fun really. Please forgive my lousy work on the cutting board, I only wanted to taste the sound. :rolleyes:

2SK60 in simple circuit sounds good already, with simple regulated supply and a these simple parts. I do not now how to fine tune the circuit but this is promising indeed...

What does this mean? We need to be patient and wait for Mike to come up with his tweaking.. :)

Attachments

• 2015-11-10 17.16.36.jpg
    2015-11-10 17.16.36.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 665
  • 2015-10-28 10.46.10.jpg
    2015-10-28 10.46.10.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
i still have extra pairs of K82 KD33 and just bought the article and download it. I can only see schematic, where can I get the pcb or pcb layout?

... Also, just in case it comes up. The PCB's shown in the article have never been publicly available. They were special prototype boards I used that had all kinds of extra jumpers and pads so I could try a lot of different stuff, so I don't intend to release them. Maybe I'll do one for the next one...

Hi gadut,

There wasn't a formal LuminAria PCB released, but maybe we could expect one for Michael's next SIT pre-amp, which apparently uses 2SK60.

As I'm running low on 2SK82, if you're interested in swapping your KD33s with some 2SK60 (or matched 2SK180s just in case), kindly drop me a PM.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Frankentracing for Luminaria

Hello,

I'm hoping to build a Frankentracer to measure some 2sk82 for
the Luminaria. What changes do you think are necessary?

I'm thinking:

1) replace transformer with somethinng around 80VAC.
2) change 220uF cap to higher voltage.
3) change to a low value bulb (30W?)

Do these make sense or am I completely out to lunch?

Thanks,
Dennis

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I guess you've scaled the bulb to allow similar max current as the original version ( 300W x (25/80)^2 = 30W ), but since Vds max is now higher, the max power dissipation across the DUT will be higher than the original version. You'll need bigger heatsinks and watch out if it's too much for the 95W rated 2SK82.

I guess I'm misunderstanding things. I was hoping a smaller bulb will
limit the current even more. Have to think about this.

Thanks,
Dennis