LTspice & Linux

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can't consider everyone. I don't exactly feel slighted by the fact that LTSpice is free, has excellent algorithms and usability, and works pretty well on Linux.

I don't think we are so special that we can attempt to control the simulator market and actually make it better.

Also, people who study hard are not so dependent on the market to provide software with training wheels. The latter is convenient - but the former will benefit you in far more ways than getting solutions handed to you.

I consider I study hard,I rely on testing, measuring and I use many trusted
reference books :)

The ability though for someone gifted, who may wish to contribute to LT to improve their software to assist others or improve their own project, faces presently that the door at LT is closed.

Well you could provide feedback to LT encouraging them to release a linux version
which would be beneficial

Circuit Design Tools & Calculators | Design Center | Analog Devices

At least you are now aware that they look after some people but totally exclude others.
Multisim by the way is also tied to proprietary software, and will not function yet in Linux

The situation with CAD software is quite similar - which leans to ask what
ongoing interest do proprietary software firms have with Electronics firms
and Electronics design software have to do with being tied principally but
not totally to proprietary software.

I am keeping a close eye on Libre PCB being developed under GPL3 which is a great
example that it can be done, and infers others can do that too. LibrePCB

Last edited:
So, by creating a free tool (for you, and others) they (Linear Technologies / Analog Devices) did create opposition that can only be removed by creating an other free tool, et infinitum...

Maybe you could install Wine and use the free tool on a free environment that runs on a free operating system.

It is, in my opinion, not the responsibility of the creator (of the free tool) to satisfy every one.

See also Wine (software - Wikipedia)

P.s. DiyAudio.com is not the place for this type of discussion, there are many platforms available for this.

See also Criticism of Linux - Wikipedia and Criticism of Microsoft Windows - Wikipedia (in any order, here presented alphabetically)

Last edited:
Well you could provide feedback to LT encouraging them to release a linux version
which would be beneficial

Circuit Design Tools & Calculators | Design Center | Analog Devices

At least you are now aware that they look after some people but totally exclude others.
Multisim by the way is also tied to proprietary software, and will not function yet in Linux

The situation with CAD software is quite similar - which leans to ask what
ongoing interest do proprietary software firms have with Electronics firms
and Electronics design software have to do with being tied principally but
not totally to proprietary software.

I am keeping a close eye on Libre PCB being developed under GPL3 which is a great
example that it can be done, and infers others can do that too. LibrePCB

Well I can send this to writer, maybe he is interested, much electronic companies do forget how i'mportant diy communities are.

Most probably, most of there paying customers are using MS Windows, change that and you will change the world, until then... you will be fighting windmills.

Again this is not the forum for this type of discussion, please lets talk about what this thread is all about, installing and using LTspice.

Most probably, most of there paying customers are using MS Windows, change that and you will change the world, until then... you will be fighting windmills.

Again this is not the forum for this type of discussion, please lets talk about what this thread is all about, installing and using LTspice.

Yes you say it right using and installing LTspice, so the talk is quite about LTspice installing, so this type of discussion do fit here.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I think DIY Audio has to start considering the many members who refuse to use proprietary operating systems, and no longer recommend LT Spice.

LT need to start considering everyone, not just those who use proprietary operating systems and develop LTspice for Linux, is the obvious answer.

In the mean time DIY audio needs to no longer actively support a firm, who fail to consider everyone.

diyAudio does not endorse or otherwise any software or operating systems.

The individual members have a free hand to use whatever they wish... however with LTSpice being both free and well supported both officially and in user groups, and with it running on what are arguably the most common operating systems in use today it is little wonder it so well liked.

I think DIY Audio has to start considering the many members who refuse to use proprietary operating systems, and no longer recommend LT Spice.

Like other posters here, I really don't understand your point. diyAudio isn't "recommending" LTspice or any other tool; it's simply offering a forum for discussion among people that choose to use it. If you dislike Windows that much, then find a SPICE simulator that runs under Linux (or whatever "non-propriety" operating system you prefer) and start your own thread titled "Installing and using xxxxxxx. From beginner to advanced." Or run LTspice under Wine instead.

I also think you don't understand the origins of LTspice. Mike Engelhardt developed this as an internal tool at Linear Technologies and then offered it for free to the DIY community for general use (read the license). That was an incredibly generous thing for him and Linear Technology to do. We should be saying "thanks" instead of criticizing that gesture.

I agree for shure, compile it for linux is maybe a smal effort, but wine do oke I hear here, I do not use linux, I do not like it. be the way compile it is not always that easy, I remember that I did in past download a program, installed it in linux did require typing a half book.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.