Lowther for desktop use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After hearing Lowther I honestly need to try one. So only Place allowed for me now is my desktop (wife).

Can anyone recommend where i can find something related to lowther for desktop use.

I have budget of around 1400$....i would love to even see some used market....so if anyone have any idea or can help me to get drawing...again will be used in desktop use so any help of anyone have tried used it would be great to know...

V

It's a really dumb idea. Lowthers are designed for large horns. If you put it in a small desktop box, there will be no bass and the treble will rip your ears off.

Look at some equivalent FR that are actually designed for small(ish) boxes. Perhaps the Fostex F200A, a Diatone clone, or Seas Exotic.

I'm liking your thinking... :D

The F200a & Seas might require an excessively sized box for desktop use -one of the Diatone clones would probably be more reasonable. Believe it or not though, some of the smaller higher Q Lowthers do work in simple vented boxes, providing you don't push them too hard or expect them to go especially low; they also typically have rather less of the peaking through the middle HF region than the larger 8in models, which is often around +12dB or thereabouts at 7-8KHz. The DX55 for example is relatively (relatively) flat, but Q is low, so in that case you'd need a high output impedance amplifier or some series resistance to help out; providing the box is designed with this in mind, that's not too much of an issue. I don't think they're ideal for such use (obviously), but it's not completely out of the question if you don't mind using wideband drivers with whizzer cones for desktop purposes. A felt covering for the desk might not be a bad idea though. Those Victorians had the right idea. ;)

Last edited:
It could be done theoretically, but only if you are willing to forgo the 'purist' system approach so admired by beginners. IOW, you won't be able to straight wire them to a SS amp.

One relatively simple way to make it work would be to start with one of the less evil drivers suggested, like the C45, and use a high output impedance tube amplifier and/or added series resistance. Since it's a desktop system, will the sound source be a computer? If so, digital EQ will in all likelihood also be useful as well as needed.

Last edited:
it will be PC i have a DCX2496 for the equalizing....even then if it is achievable?

As we've bantered around, the Lowther was designed for a fairly specific compound horn alignment and driven with a high output tube system, so while one can use digital EQ to trade some of its efficiency for a nominally flat response from Fs to beyond ~15 kHz, it's 'tone' usually gets altered enough to spoil its 'magic' for many.

I've read that the DCX isn't noted for being very 'HIFI' sounding ['transparent'], so will likely add an additional audible level of noise ['grain'] to further alter its 'tone'.

That said, which one did you audition and what were the details of both the signal chain and cab design, so we can get a better idea of what you experienced?

GM

My close friend here has an assessment of those performance claims. ;)

Attachments

• Duck.jpg
    Duck.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 266
I've heard the tall, curvy MLTL Teresonics at RMAF. They were reasonably okay considering they used the DX4's (which I don't love, but also, there are better-sounding Lowther models, especially for a cab like that). Of course, there are also just plain better cabs for Lowthers.

What claims are people objecting to?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.