Lowther DX4 rebuild

One more thing. A fellow Lowther owner suggested cutting the edge of the whizzer on my DX4 drivers to unfurl the reverse roll (to make the whizzer straight), based on his claims that the high frequencies sound better. After some careful consideration, I did so and I also thought that the high frequencies improved. When I ordered the DX65 drives I ordered them without the reverse roll.

I have non folder whizzer cone but that was used in my own fullrange design, I don't find that much difference once the paper weight is 110gsm or below for the whizzer cone.

1683032999189.png

1683033017274.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My personal design is much different from Lowther, with the voice coil slightly smaller and taller former.
All made with Japanese washi hemp/kozo paper. It has a very good dynamic responses compare to Lowther.
CSD.jpg

With Baffle Step.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Repairing a coil on an existing Lowther cone without damaging the former is probably near-impossible, Have you contacted Lowther to find out how much it costs for a new cone? Since the new cone would likely look different than the old one, it would probably makes sense to purchase two new cones. The cones come mounted on the baskets, and you just need to attach your existing magnets.

If you do get new cones, they require extensive break-in.

Retsel

Repairing a coil on an existing Lowther cone without damaging the former is probably near-impossible, Have you contacted Lowther to find out how much it costs for a new cone? Since the new cone would likely look different than the old one, it would probably makes sense to purchase two new cones. The cones come mounted on the baskets, and you just need to attach your existing magnets.

If you do get new cones, they require extensive break-in.

Retsel
There is someone in the Lowther Facebook group planning to do that, he boughta pair of my voice coil with intention to cut and remove the old one from the cone, and replace with the new ones.

Not a simple work and takes lots of patience and time

Wow... So happy to have found this post @ghemml. I have been climbing up this ladder for a while without any idea what I am doing.
I have a pair of Tannoy speakers I am very fond of and took up the challenge to repair them after I stupidly blew them by accident.
In the process I had to work out a way of replacing the spiders too as they got damaged in the deconstruction process. I 3D printed mine which I'm happy to say are a little like the ones you have made. I will post pictures in due course.