• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lowering HV secondary on Power Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I seem to have bought a PT too large for my homebrew 50watt plexi amp. It cranks out 430VAC on each side of the HV secondary, which I have been told will jump to 560V after rectification.

I need to lower my HV lines by about 100V each. How do I go about doing that? Can I do it with some sort of resistor? I need all the suggestions I can get.

Thanks heaps,
ED

How about a choke input filter? Can give excellent regulation and sound a bit better than the usual capacitor input if designed properly. Its disadvantages? You get quite a big voltage drop - just what you are looking for.
If you don't already have it, I recommend you download PSU designer 2 from Duncan Amps (free software). This clever little program will allow you to simulate the power supply under different conditions.
Its always worth simulating your supply ito a stepped load (current drawn changes by a few milliamps as in real operation) and choose capacitor values to avoid any oscillation as the load changes.

software at www.duncanamps.com

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cap input... 430 x 1.4 ~600V

Choke input 430 x 0.9 ~ 390V

If you need 460 V then choke input won't do ( but it does sounf better -- you do need to have a minimum current draw which makes it unsuitable for Class AB amps in general)

With the cap input you can throw voltage away with a tube rectifier, and more CL or CR sections.

dave

I strongly suggest a high-drop inefficient tube rectifier (and those things are beautiful to see...) and a cap input.

Remember that Jimi Hendrix made his plexis modded so the B+ was even higher... he said that they sounded better...

Higher B+ should you point more towards the Class B zone, and that's not good...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.