• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Lower gain 12AX7?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, if I misinterpreted your terms "weird," "strange," and "unusual," to mean "weird, strange, and unusual," you have my apologies. Perhaps there's a difference in American usage of these terms.

I think there is very little difference but again you miss the point. I was not saying the availability of those values was weird etc (and you were at pains to point out repeatably that those values are available) but I was saying that the choice of values was weird etc.

I am sure that even in America there is a difference between choice and availability.

Cheers

Ian

That is an interesting reference and I can understand how it might mislead you into thinking that E24 series means 5% tolerance component.

The fact of the matter is that pretty much all metal film resistors are made to 1% tolerance these days, no matter what series you choose to buy from. You can plainly see E24 values available in Farnell at 1% tolerance.

For example, and as you rightly point out, some E24 values do not exist in the E96 series. In the E24 series there is a 200 ohm value but not in the E96 where there is a 221. However, despite your belief that E24 means 5% tolerance and carbon film to boot, 200 ohm resistors are readily available in 1% tolerance metal film types and you can even buy E12 series kits of 1% metal film resistors.

MULTICOMP|MF0W2FFE012KIL|RESISTOR, KIT, 0.5W 1% E12 | Farnell United Kingdom

The bottom line is, as I said to the other poster, that 99.99% of designs can be done with the E24 series values, and despite their availability, I see no good engineering reason to select E96 values.

Cheers

Ian

Sorry to stay OT, but in the UK we have a reliable supplier (Rapid Electronics) who stocks Vishay E96 1% resistors, but only the E6 values from the range. Like many people from my generation, I tend to think in terms of E12 for most values, with E24 for precision things like RIAA. I emailed them to ask if they could expand their range, either adding the nearest E96 to each E12 value, or stocking the E24 5% range too. They replied, asking me to list the values which I would like them to stock. At that point I gave up.

As a result of my E12 brain, many modern circuits appear to have strange resistor values which may be difficult to obtain in the UK from the usual hobbyist suppliers. I even thought for a while that the designers were being clever, and implying a greater degree of design precision than is warranted for most circuitry - too many sig figs is a common newbie problem. End of OT comment!

As a result of my E12 brain, many modern circuits appear to have strange resistor values which may be difficult to obtain in the UK from the usual hobbyist suppliers. I even thought for a while that the designers were being clever, and implying a greater degree of design precision than is warranted for most circuitry - too many sig figs is a common newbie problem. End of OT comment!

Ah, I think you hit the nail on the head. It's an old UK head set versus a new USA head set thing. I am 60 years old and like you I rarely find a need to go outside the E12 series let alone the E24. These youngsters in the States seem to have been brought up on E96 and use it without a thought whereas to us old E12 brains all the values appear wierd, odd whatever.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers

ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.