Low TIM, low distortion hybrid front-end

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, here are both sides with wider traces and pads :bulb:
The pads still look a little small for etching. Without the through hole plating both sides have to be soldered. I'd make them a lot bigger if it's not too much work.

I've got something very similar to this one:

High-Quality-9pin-tube-socket-ceramic-base-copper-pin-for-12AT7-12AU7

The point is that the socket pins are placed exactly under the tube pins - that's the way they are placed on PCB. Also, ceramic is always better than plastic (just more reliable).

Those look like they are designed to actually plug into a socket. All of the sockets that I can find that are designed to solder to a PCB have the larger footprint like the one I linked to. I suppose I will have to buy the ones you linked to since I can't find any others with that footprint.

Those look like they are designed to actually plug into a socket. All of the sockets that I can find that are designed to solder to a PCB have the larger footprint like the one I linked to. I suppose I will have to buy the ones you linked to since I can't find any others with that footprint.

Terry, you were right! I have checked the footprints - diameter of circle, where the holes are placed is 20mm (0.7874 inch), which is suitable for pcb-mount socket - the one you showed initially.

Sorry for misleading

I will have to find those too )

Prototyped and tested!

Hi All, here we go.

Soldered and measured. Minimal fine-tuning - R2, R6, R7, R9 are adjusted - see attached schematic.

It confirmed its pretty high-end performance. Low noise, low THD, low IMD, high slew rate (400nS rise/fall time), good phase response. Bandwidth with all the compensation and input filter is around 300kHz.

I've tried 2 tubes. First one had pretty high tolerance between the triodes - DC offset at the output was around 180mV. The second tube is matched much better, so offset slowly fluctuates around zero, +/-10mV maximum.
In a worst case it is possible to put a trim pot (470 ohm) instead of R5, R8 degeneration resistors, connecting its central pin to collector of Q3 - it will allow adjusting the offset.

I had no chance to assess the sonic performance yet - need some more time for preparation. However - Terry, Thimios, Ranchu32, jerluwoo and everybody else who is going to build it - you can go ahead and order the PCBs.

Regarding the start-up behavior - the tube warms-up in about 10 seconds. So, you've got 2 options:
1) Setup the soft-start circuit in a way that it gives the power to the heater right away, in 10-12 seconds it powers-up all the rest of an amplifier and after another 2-3 seconds it connects the speakers;
2) Power goes everywhere at the same time, just connect the speakers in about 12-15 seconds.
First option is more "friendly" for the circuit.

I use a small heatsink for Q15, Q17 - even at 4.5 mA they get warm, so heatsink is recommended for better stability.

Questions, suggestions are welcome.

Looking forward to hearing it ;)

Cheers,
Valery

P.S. - I have an idea to try powering the heater with 6V DC (regulated) - it may potentially decrease the risk of influencing the input (though it seems to be unnoticeable even as is, with AC power).

Attachments

• DSC03216.JPG
    DSC03216.JPG
    280.9 KB · Views: 275
  • @Tube-THD-20k.JPG
    @Tube-THD-20k.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 144
  • @Tube-THD-01k.JPG
    @Tube-THD-01k.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 164
  • @Tube-SQR-200k.JPG
    @Tube-SQR-200k.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 156
  • @Tube-SQR-020k.JPG
    @Tube-SQR-020k.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 505
  • @Tube-SQR1-020k-Rise.JPG
    @Tube-SQR1-020k-Rise.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 527
  • @Tube-IMD-14k-15k.JPG
    @Tube-IMD-14k-15k.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 553
  • @Tube-Bode-01.JPG
    @Tube-Bode-01.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 664
  • @Tube-!Sch-02.jpg
    @Tube-!Sch-02.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 705
  • DSC03222.JPG
    DSC03222.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 293
Thank you all for positive feedback, giving even more courage for the future :)

This is my first serious design with a tube, however I really like the way it performs, so I am definitely going to explore it further. The concept is proved, now it't time to dig deeper ;)
As discussed with Bigun earlier, will try to increase the anode voltage, expecting even better linearity (already ordered a small transformer producing both 6V and 240V AC). Also thinking about using the valve in the second LTP as well...

We'll see :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.