low-pass crossover suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
other way

You might look into a higher Hz cross over point and then control the output from the woofer with the Enclosure. I mean maybe 180hz with the passive components to save power and complexity in the crossover but make a box that can absorb the next 100hz your looking for. You can find info on this concept at the auto-sound web sites.

Borus

"YA but what does he know anyway"

Good link Peter. Several options discussed there.
And those "cheap" Behringer units do work well, especially for what they cost!
To most people, it's probably worth the price just for using the first variable lowpass crossover to use for subwoofer(s).

Re: other way

tinitus said:
Bandpass cabinet...acoustic lowpass filter :D

Borus said:
You might look into a higher Hz cross over point and then control the output from the woofer with the Enclosure. I mean maybe 180hz with the passive components to save power and complexity in the crossover but make a box that can absorb the next 100hz your looking for. You can find info on this concept at the auto-sound web sites.

I forgot to say that the speakers will be entirely Open Baffle, so I cannot and dont want to play with cabinet resonance. I will be using 2x 15" Hawrhorne Augies (or 4x 10") for 30-80/90/100 range.
I'm definitely NOT going above 100hz.

So, how big would such crossover be?
The budget would be <500€ for each.

I found this site:
http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html

BTW, if someone can point me to some writeup of different types of crossover filters, I would be glad.

Re: Re: other way

Telstar said:
So, how big would such crossover be?
The budget would be <500€ for each.

Well, to get a reasonable DCR out of an air core coil, I calculate that a 6" I.D., 13" O.D. core, 3" long wound with 350 turns of 6AWG magnet wire (assuming you can find such) would give you a ~24mH coil with a DCR of .34ohms. This would weigh 73.5 pounds and cost $440 at ~$6/lb. This would work for a 6 ohm driver in a L-R 80Hz lowpass. Interesting things happen with the resonance peak, you may want to model it....

You could use a laminate core and save 90%, but once you compromise your principles, you might as well go active ;)

Re: Re: Re: other way

Ron E said:

Well, to get a reasonable DCR out of an air core coil, I calculate that a 6" I.D., 13" O.D. core, 3" long wound with 350 turns of 6AWG magnet wire (assuming you can find such) would give you a ~24mH coil with a DCR of .34ohms. This would weigh 73.5 pounds and cost $440 at ~$6/lb. This would work for a 6 ohm driver in a L-R 80Hz lowpass. Interesting things happen with the resonance peak, you may want to model it....

You could use a laminate core and save 90%, but once you compromise your principles, you might as well go active ;)

What about using the t-bass?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1660762#post1660762

BTW the woofers are 8ohm.

I checked that article but it doesnt explain the differences i.e. between 1st and 3rd order crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.