Loudspeaker perception

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Tom Danley said:
Unfortunately, The big problem (or part of it) I think is that a microphone “listens” from one point in space, you hear from two points and then have processing attached so this isn’t the same IF what one hears from one ear is different than what one hears from the other (with the exception of the differences your head and angle cause)

I believe that It is partly the “things” which make the differences between ears, that give a single loudspeaker an identity in space if this makes sense.
The source radiates clues as to “where it is” and these clues are counter productive / harmful so far as preserving the recorded stereo image. These are in the same category as close reflections IE; bad juju
An actual point source doesn’t result in a difference between one ear and the other (except for head acoustics)

Are you refering a speaker having a perceived size, and this 'size' would invalid perception of phantom image?

A normal speaker have bass at the bottom, midrange above that and tweeter at the top and it is not difficult at all to hear different freqs comming from different hights. Is this the thing you are refering to?

I think the main problem is not in the speaker (as it can be a point source to the certain limit) but the problem is in the stereo principle itself. It simply does not work consistently over the whole audio band and the ear+brain combination is not satisfied but concludes something is not real.

- Elias

Hello,

Graaf, from memory (and my memory until now was still good) I retain the transition frequency of 4000Hz between the frequency domain for which audition can manage phase and the frequency domain for which it is inaudible.

Earl, phase contribution to the enveloppe of a given signal is important. If, as you said correctly, our audition is sensible to the enveloppe of the signal then phase coherence must be kept.

IMHO we have to keep the enveloppe of the sound the most correct possible and this means that we have to kept the group delay variations very small throughout the largest ferquency interval.

In aparte, I'll add that when high frequency components are removed from a signal (even musical signal) its enveloppe is often less smooth and the sound is more crisp. To give a simplistic image of that, someone has to think about the shape of a square wave which came through a low pass (example: a square wave at the output of a CD player), the top and bottom of the signal presents ondulations. That's why few apparatus (harmonizer?) try to recover the missing high frequencies components and to add them to the signal outcoming from the CD. ( Japanese people seems very sensible to that).

I don't want to maintain that dimensions of the instruments can be audible for everyone. But I guess it is like phase distortion audibilty, a small percentag of the people is sensible to it.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h
graaf said:

not 5000 Hz?

graaf

Hello,

Russell Dawkins said:
Based on a few recent comments here and elsewhere, I am starting to wonder whether the answer to the question "what is the major factor contributing to good phantom imaging" is lower waveform distortion, since it seems that this type of distortion - not the usually-mentioned flatness of off-axis response - is, by being somewhat random in nature, interpreted as not being part of the "information" but "noise" and thus not part of the acoustic holograph that is the phantom image, loosely speaking.
The hearing mechanism then places the source of this noise at the speaker, and quite rightly.
That's my notion as of today, and I'm stickin' to it!

I'm thinking this may relate to the performance of the conical horns vs the LeCleac'h

If you want to have low waveform distortion, then you must avoid room reflections!

Consider stereo speakers operating as Blumlein intended them to be working, i.e. amplitude panned waves from speakers summing at the listening position and forming an interference field where the brain detects the phase differences between the ears, this works below, say, below 700Hz. If you include room reflections below 700Hz all this collapses and brain cannot form a image in the intended phantom location.

Thus this should have some advice to loudspeaker design as the worst possible speaker has a monopole midrange producing a lot of room reflections. Best is to use highly directivity source below 700Hz. Just the opposite that is commonly employed! :rolleyes:

- Elias

In human beings the nuerons, the fundamental elements of our nervous system have a response time of about 1 ms. It tkes this long for a nerve cell to chemically recover enough energy to fire again. In our hearing this means that individual hairs cells cannot possible fire sychonous to the wavefor above 1 kHz. and it is believed that this point is more like 500 Hz. This is clearly seen in the Loudness curves where the nature of our hearing changes dramatically below 500 Hz. and is nearly flat, with some resonances above 500 Hz. The transition point to phase inaudibilty is AT MOST 1 kHz and most people believe that it is more like 500 Hz.

To Jean-Michels comment about phase coherence required in an impulsive signal, this is completely untrue. I can detect an impulse in a mean squared signal even though all phase information is lost. How fast a transient that an envelope detector can track all depends on the integration time of the detector. There is much data on this, but it is very clear that phase coherence IS NOT REQUIRED to detect an impulse. Now if the phase change is sufficient to cause the group delay to exceed the integration time of the detector then there can be an effect on the output. But not until sufficient phase change has occured will this be detectable.

"IMHO we have to keep the enveloppe of the sound the most correct possible and this means that we have to kept the group delay variations very small "

This is completely true, and I couldn't agree more, but it has no bearing on whether phase in and of itself is detectable. Only that group delay needs to be kept below some threshold. And according to our resesrch this threshold varies with absolute playback level (and of course it is frequency dependent).

Hello,

gedlee said:
Getting a live small room - so that it can have spaciousness - without dominate early reflections, is, IMO, a main objective of room and speaker design. Its not easy.

How about using highly directive speaker to avoid early reflections. Avoid using omnidirectional midrange because below, say 1kHz, is where stereo 'lives' and for correct operation we assume no reflections.

- Elias

Hello,

markus76 said:
Elias, speaking of Blauert – maybe you mixed the two main mechanisms on how our brain interprets signals received by our ears:

1) interaural level differences – works with the whole audible spectrum
2) interaural time differences
- interaural time differences up to ca. 1.5 kHz
- interaural time differences of the signals envelope (German "Signalhüllkurve") from 150 Hz on

There are more into it obviously, but I'm also thinking about ITD at low freqs which can be translated to interaural phase difference as it is what stereo is based on in theory. However phase only works up to about 700Hz until head shadowing effects and wavelength beeing too short.

But I think the most important mechanism of spatial hearing is the pinna localisation. This dominates somewhere above 3kHz. Some other cues beeing present at the same time, pinna will determine the perceived location, or confusion in the brain.

- Elias

Hello,

gedlee said:
To me this stuff is critically important because if we don;t know what it is we are trying to achieve and why then we are just playing with ourselves in the dark.

One of the most important things that I look for in a loudspeaker is "do they disappear?" If I close my eyes (or they are behind curtains as in my case) do I have trouble telling where the loudspeakers are actually located. If so, then they are doing a good job of imaging what is on the recording. But if I can always seem to find the loudspeaker then there is a problem because the loudspeakers attributes are interfeering with the sources imaging intent.

Very few speakers in my experience disappear and almost no horn systems. It seems like you can always tell precisely where that horn is at. That always disturbed me.

This is very important indeed.

The most easiest loudspeaker 'disappearing act' is performed so that you make full range omnidirectional speakers and place them in a room far away from the listeming position. In this way you place yourself in the diffuse field conditions where sound is coming from every direction at equal strength. Cannot localise the speaker in this way. BUT there is no imaging either! All you hear is the room reflections. How can you do image in a diffuse field?

- Elias

Hello,

markus76 said:
Why shouldn't your test work with me sitting in an extreme nearfield situation? The stereo triangle is about 30 cm so no early reflections disturb imaging despite the fact that those drivers have serious limitations in maximum level and a lack of frequencies below 200 Hz. Following your thoughts this should help in creating the phenomenon you're trying to describe!?

I cannot know why you are not hearing what I'm hearing. As I said at the beginning this is a learned process and maybe you haven't learned to hear it yet.

- Elias

gedlee said:
In human beings the nuerons, the fundamental elements of our nervous system have a response time of about 1 ms. It tkes this long for a nerve cell to chemically recover enough energy to fire again. In our hearing this means that individual hairs cells cannot possible fire sychonous to the wavefor above 1 kHz.

There has been some work from van Hemmen and others that show that ensembles of neurons can fire at least an order of magnitude more exact than single neurons can do.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Hello Earl,

I never spoke about pulse detection.

Pure sine signals or intermodulated signals often used for psychoacoustical analysis may present if they possess a HF component such parts with a high slope our internal ear will difficultly track. But you surely knows, like me, signals (e.g. triangular) that don't show high speed slope while they possess high frequency components. Such slow speed signals according to your comment should be easily tracked by the internal ear. If we remove one HF component or if we turn its phase drastically, the shape of the signal may presents high speed slope that' our ear will track less easily. So we cannot generalize and such a HF limit for phase audibility is IMHO questionnable.

This topics is somehow related to phase distorsion audibility. Some of us can feel differences between LR (low-pass + high-pass 4th order) and Le Cléac'h crossover if the relay frequency is over 500Hz, even if the overall response is the same. IMHO this can only be explained by phase audibility over 500Hz.

Have a good weekend ( I am offline until monday).

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Hello,

I think perceived 'shape' and 'dimension' of the instruments in stereo is usually called as 'localisation blur' or 'apparent source width' in literature, which pretty much tells the reason for that also.

- Elias

markus76 said:
I don't think that there's something like "shape" or "dimensions" of an instrument in stereophony. This is something that we've learned and lives solely in our brains memory. Spaciouseness generated by room reflections or reflections in a recording (yes that's possible to some extend) will make a phantom image bigger just because we aren't able to pin point those phantom images any more.

Hello,

markus76 said:
But what's much more of interest for me is how much reflections at what time and angle are preferable in stereophony or multichannel? When do they start to become destructive? Do they help at all (Toole even claims that early first reflections can help with intelligibility of speech). The common practice of attenuating first reflections and creating a RFZ (Reflection Free Zone) isn't based on scientific facts.

This is in great interes for me also.

I keep constanly coming accross some reference stating that Ando (if I remember correctly) defined that early reflections coming from +/-55 degrees front provides maximum spaciousness.

Of cource one can think intuitively that early reflections should come from somewhere frontal half space. But Ando actually defined the angle for maximising the effect. One can take advantage of that information and use it in a 'surround' system.

Secondly late reverberance tail should come from back half space or from sideways more than from front. This is another reason why stereo does not sound good - Late reverberance does not come from front in real life!

- Elias

Markus

Reverberation and spaciuosness are seperate issues, I agree, but they are also closely linked as one cannot have spaciosness (in the room I mean) without reverberation.

Jean-Michel

Your examples are simply circumstantial evidence of something that contradicts the physics. For me to accept what you are claiming I would have to see some real data that supports it.

Elias said:
Hello, BUT there is no imaging either! All you hear is the room reflections. How can you do image in a diffuse field?

- Elias

I said early on that there is a tradeof that one has to make in a small room to achieve spaciousness AND good imaging. Its a balancing act. And I have also stated that highly directional speakers are the main component of how this balance can be optimized. There appears to be a lot of background information that you are not aware of. Perhaps you should read my white paper at www.gedlee.com as I address many of these issues.

gedlee said:
In human beings the nuerons, the fundamental elements of our nervous system have a response time of about 1 ms. It tkes this long for a nerve cell to chemically recover enough energy to fire again. In our hearing this means that individual hairs cells cannot possible fire sychonous to the wavefor above 1 kHz. and it is believed that this point is more like 500 Hz. This is clearly seen in the Loudness curves where the nature of our hearing changes dramatically below 500 Hz. and is nearly flat, with some resonances above 500 Hz. The transition point to phase inaudibilty is AT MOST 1 kHz and most people believe that it is more like 500 Hz.

"the ear is synchronous" to the input stimulus - there is the so called phase locking - up to approximately 5 kHz:
(...) neurons cannot fire much faster than about 1000 action potentials per second (they have an absolute refractory period of about 1 ms and cannot fire twice in succession at intervals of less than 1 ms). Therefore they cannot fire during each cycle of the stimulus for stimuli above 1000 Hz (1 kHz). This realisation led Wever and Bray to propose the operation of a volley principle illustrated in Figure 24b. In this figure, the frequency of the sound wave illustrated on top is too high for a single fibre to fire on every cycle. According to the volley principle each fibre only fires at a certain point in the cycle although it does not respond to each cycle. Each of the eight fibres illustrated is firing in phase; that is, if on any cycle a given auditory nerve fibre does fire, it does so at the same relative position within the cycle. If the responses of all fibres are then combined, as may happen further up in the auditory system, then information regarding signal frequency is preserved. The bottom trace in the figure shows the combined responses of all eight fibres; while none of the individual fibres reproduces the pattern of the wave, the combined response is sufficient to reproduce the frequency of the incoming signal. Using this principle, fibres can phase lock to signals with frequencies up to 5 kHz thereby enhancing the transmission of information about stimulus frequency.

see: http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/mod/resource/view.php?id=287534

phase audibility? isn't it a completely different matter?
isn't it a matter of binaural hearing, phase differences between two ears?

in fact the so called phase Interaural Time Delay ("ongoing ITD") is useless in real life because it is ambiguous in echoic environment
see: http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/576/1/adt-NU20041221.13524302whole.pdf
"Spatial Hearing with Simultaneous Sound Sources: A Psychophysical Investigation", s. 8-9

geez, this thread is strange, isn't it? :xeye:

Elias said:

The most easiest loudspeaker 'disappearing act' is performed so that you make full range omnidirectional speakers and place them in a room far away from the listeming position. In this way you place yourself in the diffuse field conditions where sound is coming from every direction at equal strength. Cannot localise the speaker in this way. BUT there is no imaging either! All you hear is the room reflections. How can you do image in a diffuse field?

not that far away and there is imaging

in fact omni speakers have best imaging - lifelike, palpable

best!
graaf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.