Loudspeaker design cookbook over my head

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh and Lojzek,
the book from Tenbusch is only nice for guys who really don't know what a speaker is.
The book looks good, nice layout but with not so much content :/
I bought it for my girlfriend that she get's more comfortable with my "little" hobby :D
The guy who wrote this book didn't know anything about speaker-design.
In original it is a book of the 80's and this guy tried to rewrite it with nicer pics.
Found some mistakes in the physic-basics in the book for example the value for pressure had been wrong with a factor by 10...

Hi lucadelcarlo,
As a German I can not recommend you the HobbyHifi.
He doesn't really explain his theories that someone can
understand what he is doing.

For a couple of euros this magazine costs, there is lots of
good information and plans to build good sounding
speakers.

If my memory serves me well, every now and then, theory
and practice is a topic, one can't really complain about it.

My girlfriend accepts a well sized speaker according to her music-taste.
Apocalyptica, Metallica and others cannot be listened at low level and missing punch.
Believe me guys, a metalhead as girlfriend can be very nice ;)

You are right, for the money it is ok.
If they were more DIY and less money-talks I wouldn't say anything about them.
Each magazine makes nice projects from time to time...for each taste.

The Study of Acoustics Will Yield Other Benifits

Hi first off:
I am Richard. I have been lurking in these forums for a while now, trying to learn as much as possible and I have taken a lot of the suggestions and tried to put them to use. The biggest one of all is reading the Loudspeaker Design cookbook. First off, I am not illiterate, I am just really sarting out at the beginning of this hobby so to speak. My first speaker that I am now very slowly(due to just having my 4th back suggery just 3 weeks ago) working on is a sonosub with a Tempest driver in it. I am using WinISD and Eminence speaker design software just because I wanted to get a few different perspectives so to speak.
Anyway, I am wondering if anyone can recomemd a book that would prepare me for The Loudspeaker Cookbook, I am having trouble with such things as "finding delta for PRS and V t_ test volume equal tp V b, given cubic meters". I really don't know what that means in any language.
I am usually fast at picking stuff up, I taught myself to build computers and them overclock them and then make and customize the cases and make peltier, water cooled overclocked computers and finally go to the end of what I wanted to learn with that hobby. Although speaker building is, it seems; technical. It also seems to be very much artwork. And I would like to go there in this hobby as well.
So, me... No electronics training. Very bad at math, I am dislexic when it comes to numbers. Makes it very hard to do math. So, Xover design is really gong to be hard for me.. but I will figure out a way somehow, I always do.
Anyway, (sorry to be so long winded) As always. In advance, thanks for any help that any of you can suggest.

... but you must master the math, it is the 'keys' to this and other technology kingdoms as well.

Your background in computer hardware will be beneficial in setting up facilities in a PC to do the testing required and it can also serve as the head-end of your sound system as well.

Ideally you want to be able to pass a first year college algebra course that includes an introduction to calculus. Unless you want to do research, this accomplishment will be more than sufficient to make your efforts successful here as well as in other technical pursuits. The other one that immediately comes to mind, is programming.

There are only two books I will recommend here. They are not works that will be easy for wimpy hearted beginners, but with effort and determination they will get you to a "mission accomplished" faster that most other works for study that come to mind.

Here are the books:

1) Calculus with Analytic Geometry, Larson/Edwards
http://www.amazon.com/Calculus-Ron-Larson/dp/1285057090/ref=dp_ob_image_bk
Lots of graphs make the math easier for the right brained.

2) Introduction to Electro-Acoustics & Audio Amplifier Design, Marshall Leach
http://www.amazon.com/INTRODUCTION-ELECTROACOUSTICS-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-DESIGN/dp/0757503756

Richard, for questions along the way, just ask them here. Someone will answer. Also join a math forum as well. There are only a few here that can handle the math that is coming.

Best of luck with the learning curve.

Regards,

WHG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.