Loudspeaker Advice Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My room is 8m long by 6m wide. Cieling is approx 3.2m with a step down to 2.2m from around half the length (if this matters?) It is an old 'Queenslander" style with Hardwood VJ Wall Boards and a polished pine floor. It opens up onto a back deck with french style doors. The back RH corner of the room also opens into a small kitchen - (4.5x4m with the same sloping ceiling from 3.2 down to 2.2m)

I have included a quick 3D model i have just drawn up to better clarify.

Thanks to everyone for their help and ideas!! :)

Attachments

• part1.gif
    part1.gif
    77.5 KB · Views: 431
sreten said:
FWIW most decent full sized speakers will "smoke" miniatures.
Its simply not a level playing field, miniatures are compromised.
Proper addition of a subwoofer helps a lot, but you are still
stuck with lowish efficiency and limited maximum output.

:)/sreten.

Right, sreten. Generally true. The comparison is not fair w.r.t. bass extension. But we can still compare midrange performance at a moderate listening SPL. In my experience with the 8945P, its strength is its low-distortion midrange. Amazingly clean. I believe that this is what milen hears and calls "low noise floor" in his comparison with his Spendor here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1562837#post1562837

Jaanos,

I think a TM design with a single woofer will work fine for you. You may go with the Usher 9950 tweeter version if it costs less for you that way. I actually designed this version for people who want to build the Usher 2-way using parts all from Parts Express, most importantly, even including the PE pre-built 0.75 cu ft TM cabinet. This cabinet is 10" wide. So I needed to slightly modify the woofer network, too, to accomodate a bit different baffle step effect. I created two versions, one with the 9950 tweeter and the other with the Dayton RS28A-4 tweeter. Both tweeters are top notch, a bit easier to work with than the Peerless 810921 in a crossover design.

I haven't yet posted this design at my website. I've been waiting for someone to build one. milen did the 9950 version and someone else is in the process of building the RS28 version. I don't think the R28 will turn out wrong. I know it because I modeled both versions very carefully. In fact, the RS28 has an even more advanced motor than the 9950. Mark K's test shows a bit cleaner performance from the RS28 than from the 9950. But both are no doubt high-end tweeters.

-jAy

Jay_WJ said:

Right, sreten. Generally true. The comparison is not fair w.r.t. bass extension. But we can still compare midrange performance at a moderate listening SPL. In my experience with the 8945P, its strength is its low-distortion midrange. Amazingly clean. I believe that this is what milen hears and calls "low noise floor" in his comparison with his Spendor here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1562837#post1562837

Hi,

Perhaps. Or perhaps its lower IMD across the range, but obviously
it is most apparent in the midrange. My point really was that the
S3/5 is not a good reference point. TBH its simply too expensive
for what you actually get even though its good for a miniature.

Jay_WJ said:

How expensive is the Spendor?

milen007 said:
locally in indonesia, i spend $800 for the spendor S3/5. which i can sell it maybe $600

http://www.spendoraudio.com/s35series.htm

http://www.spendoraudio.com/specs3-5.htm

Hi,

An interesting question would be how would one would
go about building an equivalent to the basic model, (or
the souped up version), based on LS3/5a principles.

5L to 6L sealed.
83dB/W to 84dB/W
5" / 3/4" drivers
50W to 100w unclipped
c/o > 3Khz, not low order
8 ohm nominal, designed for maximum impedance.

And apart from the very nice real wood veneer, how much ?

Jay_WJ said:
Jaanos,

I think a TM design with a single woofer will work fine for you. You may go with the Usher 9950 tweeter version if it costs less for you that way. I actually designed this version for people who want to build the Usher 2-way using parts all from Parts Express, most importantly, even including the PE pre-built 0.75 cu ft TM cabinet. This cabinet is 10" wide. So I needed to slightly modify the woofer network, too, to accomodate a bit different baffle step effect. I created two versions, one with the 9950 tweeter and the other with the Dayton RS28A-4 tweeter. Both tweeters are top notch, a bit easier to work with than the Peerless 810921 in a crossover design.

I haven't yet posted this design at my website. I've been waiting for someone to build one. milen did the 9950 version and someone else is in the process of building the RS28 version. I don't think the R28 will turn out wrong. I know it because I modeled both versions very carefully. In fact, the RS28 has an even more advanced motor than the 9950. Mark K's test shows a bit cleaner performance from the RS28 than from the 9950. But both are no doubt high-end tweeters.

-jAy

Thanks for the advice Jay, Do you think i would notice much difference if using the Usher tweeter compared to Peerless? Would you suggest the 9950 or the R28?

I can get the peerless in Aus but it is almost twice the price as from madisound!! Sorry if this question is unanswerable.

Thanks in advance.

Jaanos said:
Thanks Dave,

Yeah I got an estimate of around $150 to Brisbane for the ZRT kit. No Duty on items under $1000 though which is good.

The problem is; Parts Express dont sell Peerless tweeters and Madisound dont sell Usher!! :(
Be wary of PE as they only ship UPS which means you'll encounter GST, 5% duty and some clearance fees at this end. USPS is way faster, cheaper and very reliable.

I won't use PE now for that reason.

Hey Johnnz,

yeah......... I am still bloody surfing the net researching.....
I was sold on Jay's Usher design but having to buy from 2 different suppliers + the duty with ups etc seems like a bit of a hassle...... Peerless HDS are available from australia as already pointed out but they are about twice the price as from the states!!

I am seriously considering Zaphs ZRT still as it will be much less hassle. Prebuilt x-over saves time as well (which is something I dont have much of!!) Its $$$ though.....

Otherwise maybe Zaphs SR71 but as a custom floorstander tuned to 30-40hz?

I like the idea of getting better low end response as space is not really a concern - plus I would rather build the box bigger than have to build or buy stands.

What does everyone think of that idea? Is it as easy as building a larger box tuned to a certain frequency? What software is best for this? Will I need to modify the x-over (something I would rather not have to do but if it is just a little tweaking that would be ok....)

Obviously I could always build the same dimensions and fill the rest of the box with sand etc but it seems like a waste to have much more internal volume and not utilise it??

Have I got the right idea here??

Brett said:
Be wary of PE as they only ship UPS which means you'll encounter GST, 5% duty and some clearance fees at this end. USPS is way faster, cheaper and very reliable.

I won't use PE now for that reason.

Brett, does the duty only apply if over the $1000 limit?

Is GST charged regardless of price? 10% obviously?

Do you get away with paying GST and or Duty using USPS??

Cheers mate.

:)

Yeah, I've been doing heaps of surfing too. Changed my mind on which to build three times now. Pretty sure now I want to make a Dr. K MTM but am keen to make a floorstanding Transmission Line out of it. I'm a joiner and want to make a nice job of the cabinets, found out today though that a 2.4 x 1.2m sheet of American Cherry veneer isnt cheap - nearly $400 delivered! Perhaps I will build the cabinets out of plain MDF and if the speakers sound good enough to warrant the veneer (and the other half agrees) I'll veneer it, otherwise just get them spray painted.

Jaanos said:

Brett, does the duty only apply if over the $1000 limit?
If the declared value of the item is less than $A1000.

Jaanos said:
Is GST charged regardless of price? 10% obviously?
Correct if value is $A1k, you pay GST on the total value of the item and the shipping costs, and you need to be able to prove it. If the item is US manufactured, and you can prove it, you will not pay duty, usually 5% for audio stuff.
Plus there are other fees and it's a slow PITA compared to what it used to be.

With FEDEX, UPS and BAX, and I assume the others, there will also be fees as well as GST, possibly duty and possibly Quarantine and other charges.

Jaanos said:
Do you get away with paying GST and or Duty using USPS??
If under $A1000

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.