Looking for woofer to Morel ET-338

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm looking for woofer to about 200-220$ to pair with Morel ET-338.
I want to make some big compact cabinets (max 22-24 liters).

For now I found couple of interesting drivers:
Seas W18E001, Scan-Speak Revelator 4531/8531, Eton 372/375/7-202.

Etons seem to be interesting, but 372 and 375 are some old constructions so maybe 7-202 with newer motor could be fine?

Seas have very good parameters but some say that have thin bass...
From Revelators 4 ohm version should be better for smaller cabinet than 8ohm.

Or maybe some another driver?
Thanks for any suggestion.

The 8531 is one of the best 6.5" hifi drivers ever made, superb measured performance, works well in larger cabinets and goes low. It's also got a nice smooth frequency response that will ease crossover design.

The W18E is also a fantastic driver but due to its metal cone and low break-up requires a very low xover point that doesn't suit all tweeters.

Do you have subs?

Morel have good woofers but I think that there are better drivers like mentioned magnesium Seas or Revelator.

5th element good point about W18 breakup. This driver is perfect for some 3 way with some good tweeter for low xover point, but Morel ET-338 is not perfect candidate for that becouse of small Xmax. The ideal wolud be Supreme Morel Tweeter, but this is for another topic.

What about Eton? I found that Aurum Cantus AC165/50C2C could performer well, but not to much info in net about this driver.

This driver is perfect for some 3 way with some good tweeter for low xover point, but Morel ET-338 is not perfect candidate for that becouse of small Xmax. The ideal wolud be Supreme Morel Tweeter, but this is for another topic.

The Morel ET338 and supreme tweeters use the exact same replacement diaphram. The only difference between the two tweeters is the rear chamber and magnet. I owned both.

The Morel works well low in frequency. Just as any other tweeter, how loud you want to play it determines the suitable crossover frequency.

The Seas P18, an 8ohm unit, which is on sale at Madisound has no break-up and can pretty much cross anywhere. They are about $140 for the pair. 2400Hz would be about the highest due to center to center spacing.

If its a steep LR4 and/or active crossover, the Dayton RS180-8 is a great match and has really awesome midbass in a sealed box. That would be at 1900 to 2000 4th order. That combo works really well. I used it personally.

The ET338 is a great tweeter and a rare 8ohm unit in these days where so many great tweeters are 4 ohms.

The Morel ET338 and supreme tweeters use the exact same replacement diaphram. The only difference between the two tweeters is the rear chamber and magnet. I owned both.

The Morel works well low in frequency. Just as any other tweeter, how loud you want to play it determines the suitable crossover frequency.

This isn't quite true, the diaphragm/coil assembly might be the same but the rest of the tweeters are not. As nonameplum mentions, the xmax of the ET338 means it is not suited to really low xover points.

If you look at the datasheets you will see that the coil in both tweeters is 2.7mm in height. The ET338 has a front plate thickness of 2.5mm, this is an overhung design with only 0.1mm of linear excursion. The supreme on the other hand has a front plate thickness of 4.2mm, this is an underhung design with 0.75mm of linear excursion each way. This is the largest xmax I've ever seen for a 28mm dome.

What about Eton? I found that Aurum Cantus AC165/50C2C could performer well, but not to much info in net about this driver.

Zaph has measurements of a great number of 6.5" drivers on his website. Then he has several more tests on his blog. He hasn't measured that specific AC woofer, but he has measured the AC165/50CK. This is a great mid/bass except for the break-up @ 3.5k. This break-up is fairly benign mind you as in it doesn't really screw up the non linear distortion like the SEAS drivers do, but it will definitely need notching out if you go with a ~2.5kHz xover.

The usual tests for harmonic distortion of Eton drivers has always resulted in less then what you'd expect for a driver in that price range. I agree that the hexacone material looks quite interesting, but the motors of the Eton drive units aren't of the same quality as the SEAS, Scan or the Aurum Cantus drivers.

I have always been confused as to why Eton don't improve their motors up to modern standards, the only driver that appears to have been is the symphony mid driver, the one without the hexacone.

I am not familiar with the 8948A, Zaph has measured the 8945A and the 8945P and both are superb. If the 8948A is anything like those then I'd say you're onto a winner. Where in Poland can you buy the Usher drivers, I've had difficulty finding anywhere in Europe that can supply them.

This isn't quite true, the diaphragm/coil assembly might be the same but the rest of the tweeters are not. As nonameplum mentions, the xmax of the ET338 means it is not suited to really low xover points.

If you look at the datasheets you will see that the coil in both tweeters is 2.7mm in height. The ET338 has a front plate thickness of 2.5mm, this is an overhung design with only 0.1mm of linear excursion. The supreme on the other hand has a front plate thickness of 4.2mm, this is an underhung design with 0.75mm of linear excursion each way. This is the largest xmax I've ever seen for a 28mm dome.

Is the top plate you speak of, the top plate of the magnet assembly and not the faceplate?

PDF for et338:
http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/ET338-104_09-07.pdf

PDF for Supreme:
http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/ST1048.pdf

Yes, if you look at the datasheets, the top plate is listed as the 'magnetic gap height'. Usually the top plate thickness = the magnetic gap height.

The ET has top plate of 2.5mm thickness with a coil height of 2.7mm. In this case, if you centred the voice coil within the top plate you would have 0.1mm of overhang - hence this is an overhung motor with 0.1mm of 1 way xmax.

The ST on the other hand has a top plate thickness of 4.2mm, with the same 2.7mm voice coil height. If once again you were to centre the voice coil within the top plate you would have the reverse of the first situation, where the magnetic gap now overhangs the voice coil. This is known as an underhung design as the coil sits completely inside the gap. In this case there is (4.2-2.7)/2 = 0.75mm of extra gap on either side of the coil when it is centred within the gap, giving it 0.75mm of one way xmax.

For what it's worth, Mark Ks test of the Supreme's wasn't all that great, at least not worth their asking price. You can probably do better for $90 each.

I tried quite a few tweeters and the ring radiators fit the bill best for me and I couldnt be happier unless the waveguide cleans the low end up some and makes it that much better. My SB29's play all day long. I cross them at 1900 LR4 active.

I did a few builds with the xt25-60's active xover 4th order electrical @ 2400 and they are really good but need a midbass to cross high.

Im happy where its at but dont mind tinkering.

I tried quite a few tweeters and the ring radiators fit the bill best for me and I couldnt be happier unless the waveguide cleans the low end up some and makes it that much better. My SB29's play all day long. I cross them at 1900 LR4 active.

I did a few builds with the xt25-60's active xover 4th order electrical @ 2400 and they are really good but need a midbass to cross high.

Im happy where its at but dont mind tinkering.

I really like how the XT25 sounds too and IMO it just gets better when you put it in a waveguide. I do not think you will be disappointed with the way that it sounds, but you do have to get the crossover correct. In the WG300 I required two notches to get it flat, I suppose you could get by with just one but when you've got a DSP to abuse adding in another notch is a trivial thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.