• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

looking for ultralinear push-pull project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The problem I do have with the program is, there are too many user defined variables. You have to define resistor values, power supply voltages and (idle?) current. The current is what throws me off.

I have never been able to get my head around that. With Ohm's and Watt's laws, once you have established any 2 of the four parameters, (voltage, resistance, current and power) the other 2 can be calculated.

Maybe some out on the forum can explain this to me?

Aud_Mot [/B]

Not too much explaning necessary. Just write down the following two equations on a piece of paper, and keep it in front of you while you are working on circuits.

V=IR (volts equal to current times resistance) and W=VI (watts equal volts times current)

The rest is simple algebraic recombinations, I=V/R, R=V/I, V=W/I etc.. Just remember that these are in terms of watts, volts, amps, and ohms, and put the decimal in the right place for milliamps, millivolts, etc..
Use them frequently and your head will wrap around them itself.

As for setting currents, read this series of articles: http://members.aol.com/sbench102/po-dis.html

But don't just read it, get out pencil and paper and do the calculations yourself. You might not understand it all at once, but once you do, you will be confident of working with tube circuit design.

Sheldon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.