Looking for the best MC-Amp (to my ears)!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Audiofanatic

You would be better off with the parallel FET's and an a gain stage vs. the bipolar transistors due to leakage currents. Also, that input cap should be a Teflon or polystyrene.

Tubes or ok but their noise is just to much for me. The transformers I have heard had no balls.

A comman gate fet have a natural low impedance. John Dunlevy used this in an older design and worked well. The parts are much better now.

"This is my Texan answer"

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Tube or ok but the noise is just to much for me.

Johnson noise from the tubes in my circuit is the same as a 70 Ohm resistor...

With a CCS on the anode the PSU noise is out of the picture, no cathode resistors either...

It does I/V perfectly well but it relies on the tubes you use and the noise of the JFETs used as CCSs.

Hope you see the humour....:D

Cheers,;)

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!

jewilson said:
Audiofanatic

You would be better off with the parallel FET's and an a gain stage vs. the bipolar transistors due to leakage currents. Also, that input cap should be a Teflon or polystyrene.

Tubes or ok but their noise is just to much for me. The transformers I have heard had no balls.

A comman gate fet have a natural low impedance. John Dunlevy used this in an older design and worked well. The parts are much better now.

Jewilson,

Do you have a schematic?

Thanks.

Audiofanatic ;)

jewilson said:

A common gate fet have a natural low impedance.

The inpedance looking in the source of a fet is 1/Gm...in a typical fet we have 10mA /volts...

So we have 100 Ohms of input inpedance with the fet stage...

With the bipolar the impedance looking at the emiter is 25/Ic...so as the current in the schematic is 1,1mA we end up with 22 Ohms...
Five times better! ;)

"This is my Portuguese answer!" ;)

Cheers

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Shall I put you through the thinking?

The ECC88/6DJ8 has some qualities few other tubes posess: it's low noise, has very good transconductance and is linear at Vg=0.

Add to that that it's perfectly happy transforming I/V just like a J-FET, stick a CCS on it's anode and you have what a MC needs...

The I/V is done by the load resistor serving as the gridleak and hey, the tube is forced into current mode operation, elegant and simple.

I use a very low output MC and I can't hear any noise...
Not in my system anyway, at a 92dB/WM I'd expect to hear it yet I don't. No noise and dynamic range to die for.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The ECC 88 with the transconductance of 12,5 ma /volt as a cathode impedance of 80 Ohms...as good or beter than a fet...

We need to look at the tube's transfer curves in the circuit proper, than look at what it's going to see next and how it will look than etc.

I designed it in such a way that the system as a hole is holistic, the preamp can be used for MM cartridges, the MC Hammer + MM preamp work together well too...
Respecting all standards along the way.

In fact I can't think of a single cartridge it can't cater for...
The preamp's output can drive both lowish impedance and long capacitive cable without changing it's frequency response within the audio band and often way beyond.

This set of qualities is why I'd like Audiofanatic to understand that matching commercial product can and often does result in a mismatch...
Not to mention the fact that most commercial designs need to be even more stringent designing their product...

Designing for your own needs is alot easier, believe me.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

But first I would want to know if you can supply the 4 tubes and, what would be the price?

Quit the tube business some years ago but I fully trust Ger Fust who was a customer of mine:

http://www.fust-electronica.nl/

Send him my sincerest regards and ask him to match the tubes to Reference Audio standards...
He'll understand and have a little laugh...

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.