• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for sketch of electomagnetic field of a transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

Does anyone have a sketch - or know a web page where to find any - showing the electromagnetic field created by a transformer ?

The transformer I am thinking of has a normal M102 core.

The core looks like a closed 'M'
(top view, m means 'material of the core':)

mmmmmm
m....m....m
m....m....m
mmmmmm

and the winding is around the middle part.

So, it is a standard transformer.

Where would the electric flux lines start and where would they close ?

Thanks a lot for your efforts,

Volker.

That's why cores use thin laminations: they are designed to keep the lines of flux in the plane of the laminations and not allow them to deviate from this plane. In the ideal case, there is no line of flux in any other direction.

In reality, there are fringe fields and eddy currents in the laminations which reduce the magnetic efficiency of the core. This is still much more efficient magnetically than air.

In an air cored transformer I think the lines of flux would look like the above example except they would be rotated about the central axis, so they would look like a donut instead of a flat 00.

(There are also some weaker fields that radiate out beyond these.) This is hard to draw in text, but I bet there is a reference on the web you could look at.

-j

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.