• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

looking for powerful Single Ended diagram.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gee, you changed the wallpaper........
:spin:

PS. and a question to those speakers....
Don't you experience problems with the large offset of the tweeter, like that it tends to create two sweetspots that only match at ONE point in the room....?
I had to play with my setup quite some time to find the right position for listening.....My speakers are OB's with vintage Telefunken units, tweeters are by far not as much offset than the Transparence one's (pictures of the final version of my baffles to be posted soon).

Konnichiwa,

Stixx said:
Gee, you changed the wallpaper........

No, that was at a show.

Stixx said:
PS. and a question to those speakers....
Don't you experience problems with the large offset of the tweeter, like that it tends to create two sweetspots that only match at ONE point in the room....?

No, which may be related to that fatc that I do not use tweeters.

Mine are supertweeters that take over at a -6db point of around 15KHz.

Sayonara

Re: 15khz

Konnichiwa,

Stixx said:
Thanks for nitpicking.....

I was not picking nits. I was ACTUALLY answering your question. If I where to put this into loads of verbiage I would note that the function of the Supertweeters is not to supplement or fill in missing treble from the main unit.

Stixx said:
I CAN read, and I also know that those 215 EXC are good up to about 16kHz, but the question remains....

No, the question you are asking is framed from a context that does not understand the function of the device. It is like you would ask "How can you operate this transistor with 4V Heater Voltage when the rated Heater Voltage is 12V".

The only answer to such a question would be to point out that transistors do not have heaters.

Sayonara

PS, do not ask me to explain the function in detail, suffice to say that the configuration is the result of empirical search for a specific subjectively percieved result and that in order to achieve this result the Supertweeters require position as shown.

You cannot apply the same principle AT ALL to "fill in" tweeters (such as the Saba's) but only to true "super tweeters" and there it is as applicable to multiway systems (such as my Tannoys) even such that are percieved as offering "full range" treble (conventioanl Cone/Dome systems for example).

powerfull option

Hi Flyingman,

you need a powerfull tube-alternative. I finished my 833 amp last year with great succes. Although (of course) someone will argue that low wattage power amplifiers are musical than these behemoths.....please do remember that you never listen to only the amplifier but to the whole chain of audio-equipment.
Here at my house i've heard an original Kegon-C (with the silver opt's) but with my 92 dB speakers that was not very good. In contrast with my 100 W 833-amp. A huge soundstage, good articulation and details en authorative bass. And of course endless (relative) power.

Home-made. And no: it is certainly not like the Wavac. I did not skimp on the very essential power supply ! It took in total 32 transformers, chokes and coils to come up with an 280 kg amp:
- 2 monoblocks with seperate powersupplies
- input transformer - 6SN7 - interstage - 300B (very nice DRIVER) - interstage - 833 - output transformer
- at 1400 V a get 100 W class A
- currently i switched to "only" 1000 V....and have 70 Watts on tap.

It doubles as a nice heat changer as well.....not surprisingly with 10 V / 10 A filaments.

But it will take some effort to built !

Reinout

Attachments

• img_3433.jpg
    img_3433.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 444
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.