• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for low-ish rp single triode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a tube to use in a preamp. I need a single triode, or pentode that can be triode strapped, has a mu in the area of 15 to 25, and has an rp of 2K5 or lower. Octal or loctal is ideal, but 9 pin will work, and if possible, a 12V heater is preferred.

I have already used 6688's and 7788's, so I don't want to use them again. 5842's and 7737's are a little too expensive, 12j5's and their variants have too high of an rp. 6t4 is a 7 pin but otherwise promising. C3m looks almost ideal except for the price and lack of availability. Really, I am looking for 1/2 of a 5687 if it exists.

Any other suggestions?

sorenj07 said:
a 5687 paralleled? rp of 1000 or so :)

JimW said:
ECC99 has rp of 2700, mu of 22, and 6.3 or 12.6 heater. Both section could be ran parallel for even lower rp.

I'm trying to avoid parallel sections, if for no other reasons because it feels like cheating, and I'm not sure I have the heater current.

KaDe said:
If you are bored with your locals, here is a nice single triode matching your request: LD15
Rp=2k, but it looks more like a collector item.........

If I could only find some. neat tube.

pmillett said:
Borderline between big signal tubes and little power tubes...

Maybe triode-connected 6CL6, or 12EH5/12CA5? Cheap and worth a try...

Thanks Pete. The only real issue is that there are already octal holes cut, and while I have some octal to 9 pin hole shrinkers, I have never seen either octal to 7 pin, or a 7 pin socket that is as large as a 9 pin. I'll look around though as it seems like a good option.

I'll look for a loctal too.

siang said:
How about a russian tube? 6s3p-E. If you can, get the one with the "E" marking.

mu seems a little high, but it seems like a useful tube for other things.

Keep in mind that for what you are asking, there will be trade off's.....such as a hefty bit a DC idle current for your requirements,,, None the less....to answer your request, take a 6V6 in TRIODE mode...Rp is about 2.4K and the mu is about 10....and it is an octal base....
Either tie the L and R stereo 6.3V heaters in series for 12.6V or use the 12V6 .....
Should get the job done....

Chris

cerrem said:
Keep in mind that for what you are asking, there will be trade off's.....such as a hefty bit a DC idle current for your requirements,,, None the less....to answer your request, take a 6V6 in TRIODE mode...Rp is about 2.4K and the mu is about 10....and it is an octal base....
Either tie the L and R stereo 6.3V heaters in series for 12.6V or use the 12V6 .....
Should get the job done....

Chris

That's a good idea. I was thinking EL84 variants -- 10BQ5, etc. or maybe even a 12W6GT? I've used 6W6GT's before and these are a real sleeper -- good sound for no money at all.

I'm going to take some liberties with your request, and recommend the 5676. This is cheaply available and mu of 15 but different in all other respects. Miniature directly heated triode with four wires coming out the bottom. So various ways of attaching. I solder to a tag strip. Must be used vertical, and must have a good DC supply to each tube, though this is low current. Batteries are another possibility. It's not particularly microphonic.

What you will get is crystal clear sound - it's in my current favourite preamp, working parafeed. This tube came close to winning the European Triode Festival prize for phono stages in one design.

http://www.rintelen.ch/hifi/lil_sis.pdf

You could be very surprised!

Here's a picture of the existing pre which is using 12J5GT's. This should show why I would prefer single triodes. But, I think it just is lacking and that lacking seems to be due to the weakness of the tubes, and that the output transformers just have too low of a primary impedance.

I think that the best option is probably either 5687's or 8416's and leaving the outside spots empty. (My power transformer would need to be replaced for anything requiring more current I am afraid.) Not a huge deal, but not as pretty to look at either -- the glowing through the perforated front is pretty neat.

Attachments

• pre.jpg
    pre.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 864
Just a thought - the 1626 would slot right into a 12J5GT socket - same heaters and pinout. That might float your boat. I've used this tube in a preamp, and its enduring quality is boogie factor - it really rocks. It's a Jimmy Smith/Ray Charles kind of tube. I substituted a 12J5GT for it and it was a bit of a yawn - certainly preferred the 1626. Pretty cheap tube as well, and low plate resistance, though gain will be less. Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.