• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for Jim Morrison Siren Song preamp schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
TASTE FOR THE TEMPLE

I was trying to figure out what was it that one could define as Temple of Dynamics... and finally it got to me.

Yes, the WOTs I made could be defined in that way, a Temple of Dynamics. But, on the other hand I could not be satisfied with the lack of deep bass, less rich colour and thinner sound overall. At the time I attributed that to the quality of the transformers... but all who heard were basically of the same opinion and I returned to the usual RPA preamp.

Maybe it was not the transformers, but the taste?

Re: Re: Siren song

analog_sa said:

I don't think there are any copyright issues in this case. Many people have been reselling paper or electronic copies of SP with impunity. A freebie won't hurt anyone but the greedy resellers.

I disassembled it rather fast. At the time a Marantz 7 clone was better in every respect.

Ummm... the COPYRIGHT is OWNED by JOE ROBERTS, N5KAT. He has exclusive rights to the distribution and printing of anything and everything from Sound Practices.

By printing the full article here, you are in effect in violation of his copyright.

Otoh, you might email him and ask for permission.

_-_-bear

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: TASTE FOR THE TEMPLE

Alex Kitic said:
I was trying to figure out what was it that one could define as Temple of Dynamics... and finally it got to me.

Yes, the WOTs I made could be defined in that way, a Temple of Dynamics. But, on the other hand I could not be satisfied with the lack of deep bass, less rich colour and thinner sound overall. At the time I attributed that to the quality of the transformers... but all who heard were basically of the same opinion and I returned to the usual RPA preamp.

Maybe it was not the transformers, but the taste?

OK - strictly speaking of my ( twisted ) taste ....... ( which is pretty undefined ........ or it is - everything must have emotion of old Tele tube radio ;) ) ........

for best WOT - as low Ri you can find , highest xconductance you can find ....... and mu is what you can get ......

my best WOT was EC8010 based , but with that tube you must use almost custom made amp - with low sensitivity ( because resulting gain is sorta highish) .....

OK - that's not a problem ....... but problem certainly was to find a man who's willing to wind 11 paralleled primaries interleaved with 11 sec's ........

capacitance wasn't issue if connected per T. Jelakovic's book , but I can just imagine major PITA - of winding these coils ....

xformer is critical , but no more than tube ;

6H23 looks promising .

even PCC88 , or any derivative , with both sections paralleled is good enough .

I remember - first WOT proto was made with 6SN7 , both sections paralleled ;
second was with PCC88 , both sections paralleled
in both cases - OPT was appropriate wired xformer from Vertical section of old Gorenje tube BW TV ( originally on top of PCL82) ;

at that time - comparisons were made with DIY ART and DIY VTL Ultimate ( with my own tube reg - one PCL82 per channel)

even if proto have small buzz ( as result of more than 3D test chassis) , with plain CRCRC PSU filter , comparison results were way too much in favor of oldest approach ...... without implementation of any further tricks - shunt regs , LED or CCS or NiCd biasing , mosfet cascodes etc. ......

anyway - it's certainly matter of taste ........ but seems that I like FR drivers and horns ...... so I just must love same vivid character of WOT ......

today .... low mu triode , low Ri , decent xconductance , mosfet cascode , CCS as anode load ( or lowest possible value for anode resistor , as second possibility ) ..... adequate biasing ......... that can sing at least 95% of best WOT song ....

who cares ...... once you have decent enough , then you can play (build other solutions) with joy for rest of your life ....

:cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.