• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for high-voltage tubes

Joined 2006
Paid Member
@gorgon53
Is it possible to download the PDF and send to me or send a link when it is open?
I'm definitely interested.

Edit: Google found it, it is a book by Glasoe and Lebacqz.
Definitely interesting. Thanks for the tip,

Jan
I zipped the pdf but it is still to large to be accepted by diyaudio. Google "pulse generators, vol.5, glasoe and lebacqz",
and the introni.it sites pdf should come up, but, propably depending on search history, google shows different results for different peoples.
Anyway, anyone interrested can mail me at <petermessmer53@gmail.com> and i will try to send you a copy

Peter

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Has any of you access to, or know a source of, 'Analog Circuit Design ', by Hauser, Klumperink and Meyer?

Likely too late to be of any help but the book of that title is not by the authors you mention. Their contribution is an article "Variable-gain, Variable-Transconductance, and Multiplication Techniques: A Survey".

It appears in the book "Analog Circuit Design: MOST RF Circuits, Sigma-Delta Converters and Translinear Circuits" By Willy Sansen.

Google shows lots of bookstore sources for it as well as the possible free copy here in exchange for upload of other document at Scribd.

HTH

Reactions: 1 user
Jan check this schematics , since maybe this can be useful for your project , basically it represents principle how CRT cathode is linearly modulated with wide band video signal in countless nr. of colour TV set`s ,notice that there`s allways present one cathode very clean bias positive DC source , we R&TV repairsmans called that source simple as 200V line , principle is very simple , when video signal is not present on the driver transistors base than the driven cathode current is Ik=0uA , CRT screen is black , that also mean that cathode now stays on max.DC positive potencial relative to g1 which is grounded , that represent cutt-off point ,
the question is ; for your specific hybrid amp and for linear cathode drive but now with audio signal it is also necessary to have some suitable DC bias source or not ?
The following is all beside the point, but only to highlight actual measurement of the average cathode current ability of a 'modern' full size color TV CRT electron gun.

I worked briefly with RCA engineering while employed at a large distributor during the days when the spherical-faceplate rectangular color TV CRT technology was near its peak of development. This unusual circumstance came about due to a huge number of in-warranty consumer complaints about the picture quality. The color temperature would shift when the picture was very bright on high end 25" (26"?) TV sets. To do this I found the onset of the symprom using a 100% white screen, and measured cathode current. The three guns easily handled an average of 1.5mA at the point where the defect began to show itself. This line of TV sets was within conservative design and in production, so a CRT issue had been almost unheard of until this trouble. After the report was sent to RCA, further effort in the RCA laboratory revealed that the shadow mask was getting too hot and deforming.
(The CRTs in question were made by Hitachi at that time, RCA having been sold by GE to Thomson in 1988.)

I worked with CRT projection sets in the 1980's and 90s and the Sony SD187 6" projection
tubes that we used were rated at 1ma at 33 Kv and water cooled.
150ua might be more likely for a 25" color TV.
.The face of a TV set does not get hot.
30000V * 1.5ma = 45 Watts.
I think you dropped a decimal point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interestingly, the shadow mask was redesigned, and all CRTs in 'complaint sets' were replaced under warranty. It must have cost a fortune. The cheaper, though sleazier, thing would have been to issue a field mod for repair techs to change some parts values to prevent the current from reaching a level to show the defect, but it was after all the reputation of RCA, even if then owned by Thomson.

Alas today we all receive the sleazier solutions!

The following is all beside the point, but only to highlight actual measurement of the average cathode current ability of a 'modern' full size color TV CRT electron gun.

I worked briefly with RCA engineering while employed at a large distributor during the days when the spherical-faceplate rectangular color TV CRT technology was near its peak of development. This unusual circumstance came about due to a huge number of in-warranty consumer complaints about the picture quality. The color temperature would shift when the picture was very bright on high end 25" (26"?) TV sets. To do this I found the onset of the symprom using a 100% white screen, and measured cathode current. The three guns easily handled an average of 1.5mA at the point where the defect began to show itself. This line of TV sets was within conservative design and in production, so a CRT issue had been almost unheard of until this trouble. After the report was sent to RCA, further effort in the RCA laboratory revealed that the shadow mask was getting too hot and deforming.
(The CRTs in question were made by Hitachi at that time, RCA having been sold by GE to Thomson in 1988.)
From my many decades of experience as a Radio&TV repairman, the most sensitive bigger CRT were Sony-trinitron, one strong blow or fall of the TV set caused the movement and displacement of the front shadow mask and a permanent loss of the quality of the projected image,
modern TV CRT based sets had an RGB video processor with a mandatory limiter of the total cathodes current to prevent excessive X-ray emission,
btw, after many decades of work and thousands of repairs I`m still in bussines , today mostly with changes of broken LED backlight stripes, repairs of broken PSU , ...

Recently saw this amp for sale, the Fluke 5205A. May not be what you want but is a good example of a complete DC-100KHz high voltage power amp. FLUKE-5205.jpg
It's one of those pieces of gear I want to play with but can't justify.

Some specs:
DC output of +/-1500V, up to 200mA.
AC output of 1100V RMS, up to 200mA.
800V/us slew rate with 200 mA resistive load.
500V/us slew rate with 200pF capacitive load.
- slew rates deternined by capacitive load, frequency, and protection circuit -see manual.

There's one at fair radio for reasonable amount:
https://fairradio.com/product/fluke-5205a/

and the full manual is here:
https://assets.fluke.com/manuals/5205A___imeng0000.pdf

Manual's worth a good reading anyway.

Recently saw this amp for sale, the Fluke 5205A. May not be what you want but is a good example of a complete DC-100KHz high voltage power amp. View attachment 1303420
It's one of those pieces of gear I want to play with but can't justify.

Some specs:
DC output of +/-1500V, up to 200mA.
AC output of 1100V RMS, up to 200mA.
800V/us slew rate with 200 mA resistive load.
500V/us slew rate with 200pF capacitive load.
- slew rates deternined by capacitive load, frequency, and protection circuit -see manual.

There's one at fair radio for reasonable amount:
https://fairradio.com/product/fluke-5205a/

and the full manual is here:
https://assets.fluke.com/manuals/5205A___imeng0000.pdf

Manual's worth a good reading anyway.
Nothing says fun like a pile of 4X150's:)