• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for feedback on Bottlehead amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finished the bar this afternoon. I'm a bit drunk right now so will turn my attention to the project later. I'm posting to see if anyone knows if it is possible to change the title of the subject of these posts. I think a more apt description at this point is something along the lines of "The $500 amp challenge, come join in!"

AGW

I envisage the 2X rectifier windings of the AN-4T360 being connected in parallel and SS bridge rectification being employed. 600 PIV diodes will be quite safe in this regime. Snubbed General Semi PN junction parts go on the ground side and Cree SiC Schottky parts go on the B+ side. IIRC, Jim McShane carries the rectifying diodes, along with all the tubes needed.

I'm afraid that this is all a bit too abstract for me. I am able to look up the parts, but is there any way that you could unpack this for me a little bit Eli? A schematic would be helpful. I think it would be helpful to see it laid out for me on a page.

I really want to get started on the project, meaning: raping my mind around the circuit to the best of my limited ability, making as informed choices as possible in regard to the parts, and beginning to shop online for the parts.

Before I can do so, however, I would like you guys to help me nail down what I need, why I need it, and how and why it works better than the alternatives.

Thanks,

AGW

Are you wanting a tube stereo setup or are you wanting to build one? That is the question you need to start with. If you are looking at this as the beginning of a hobby then by all means buy a kit. You are not going to get what you want for $500 though. If you just want a tube system then I would scour eBay. If you want to build something then definately buy a kit to get your feet wet. I haven't been able to build anything for less than $800 or so. I'm a picky person though. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to identify what your goal is before you start with the real work. If you want to build something I would recommend the Bottlehead Paramours along with the Foreplay III. With the music you listen to and the speakers you have they will work fine if you don't want to disturb the neighbors. Either way $500 dollars isn't going to get it done unless you buy a integrated amp off of eBay.

I bought the Foreplay III to learn about tubes. It was a great experience and I think it is a good value. While it does cost more, you can potentially save money compared with building it yourself. Here are the possible hidden expenses of building from scratch:

* Need a drill press and bits for cutting tube holes - expensive if you don't have access to one
* Need a router for cutting the groove that the top plate sits on
* Need to pay shipping at several different websites because nobody has all the parts. You will probably get resistors/cap one place, tube sockets and tubes another place, and possibly iron a third place. (and then there is the top plate)
* If you make any mistake on the chassis or in part selection, you need to pay for the replacement as well

I am running into all these issues while building my SimpleSE. I thought it was going to be cheap going into it, but after buying a couple power tools, paying shipping from 5 online stores, and messing up my first chassis it is not so cheap anymore.

The only downside to the Foreplay is the high gain. I still think it is a great kit and I would highly recommend the bottlehead kits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.