Looking for enclosure ideas for FE206Es

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FAST

.......Now I am using those ML-TL boxes for experimenting with some woofers in FAST arrangement, it`s different story...

Hi there V: Sounds interesting, are you planning to post: ML-TL details, bass drivers, HF drivers, crossover hz, listening experience, any measurements? ...regards, Michael

Bob, Sretan, and Dave: thanks for the information regarding driver minus connection to driver frame, sounded zanny to me and your more experienced advice is appreciated....MD

Indeed, Horst's horn is complicated but I think still more or less doable.
I also like the elegant 3 dimensional way of folding. I can imagine a similarly folded horn with only a full range driver (no helper woofer). On the other hand, for those who (like me) enjoy rock music as well as subtle jazz, horst's design with helper woofer is very clever indeed.

Hi there V: Sounds interesting, are you planning to post: ML-TL details, bass drivers, HF drivers, crossover hz, listening experience, any measurements? ...regards, Michael

Not much to write home about. ML-TL box is a left over from the previous project, i.e. that box belongs is the original MJK ML-TL for Fostex FE206 which has been removed. Instead of throwing them away, they ended up in the basement. I just bought a pair of cheap no-name woofers (no specs)., and I was not willing to spend time measuring... Then I had some cheap FR's in the basement as well (car speakers) and I tried to make a mock-up FAST to see how it performs. To my surprise, compared to the money (not) invested, they can do pretty good, which is a plus for FAST concept. See thread here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/220499-quick-n-fast-f-s-t.html

Pioneer BOFU BiB was quite a success...

Or maybe Half-Chang...

FE206En BiB should be good too. But Big!

Not to discourage the OP, but in a 10 x 10 room, a different driver (smaller one more suitable to TL or BR boxes) would work better, and the cost saving in material (those big horns simply eat up 8' x 4' boards - folds, stepped deflectors and all :) ) and time might contribute towards recouping some of the cost at least. A slim TL would free up space in the room too and probably make palcement simpler.

For Full-range designs, my guess is that the EL-70 would work well, as would the Alpair-7.3 in a Pensil design. The TABAQ TL is also a compact design you can consider - can start off with low cost 3" drivers too - TB has some that work nicely in this design.

Hi,

Often other drivers will work better in certain environment; but here we must suppose that the guy is stuck with a certain driver (Fostex FE206) and a certain room and that can't be changed. So, the idea is to find a box which will perform satisfactorily in this setting. BiB is large, but it is mostly height; its footprint is as any other conventional box. In such a room, if it can go into corners, it can throw large sound :)
Otherwise, Half-Chang seems to be a nice option, but it will need a BSC and perhaps a current (or valve) amplification to sound good...
As they say, pick your poison...

Another candidate for un-compromised performance from the 206 could be

Woden Design | Vulcan

vulcan-c-3d.gif

But I think the 10x10ft room would present a problem for any enclosure capable of extracting the full potential of this driver - and even if one could be devised that wouldn't encroach on the room (say in-wall / IB etc), the acoustic properties of the room will still likely get in the way

This is the kind of space in which 3-4" full ranger in small bookshelf style enclosures tend to shine - jus sayin

Vix, do you still have the plans for MJKs ML-TL(with his permission of course), Id like to look at it. I may have to rethink putting the 206s in my bedroom and put them in the living room.........

I have not seen those plans for a long time. They may be saved somewhere, or maybe not. In the worst case, I could measure the box and tell you, but I'd recommend that you contact Martin. But, as I said before, I was not so happy with FE206 in that box. It works fine with some other speakers, but is is not the enclosure of choice for FE206. It you must use that driver, build some other box.

the Karlson forum experimented with a few smaller cabinets to accommodate FE206/etc. and about the smallest I recommend is the "SK8" which IIRC is 13.5" wide, 12->13" deep and ~20" tall. There's a plan buried in the forum with choices of curved or two panel reflector.

here's a run of it with a fast opening aperture and Tangband W8-1772 - 1772 sounds good in this little cabinet with this and radial arc aperture.

FE206EN had a nice midrange in SK8

FE206 in a K12 will have more punch.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here's the SK8 ("Super K8") next to a classic factory Karlson Eight
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/2222/sk8vsk8.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.