Looking for BG RD75 substitute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My dilemma is that I started acquiring components for a line array inspired by the big Genesis 1.2's that had a version of the previously obtainable BG RD75. Have posted here and other sites looking for suggestions and have had some great suggestions. Everything from Newform research to Magnepan MMGW's.

Basic main speaker design is a stack of 4 Lab15 4ohm subs in one column for left and another stack of 4 for the right side. In a separate enclosure the plan was to be 12 Peerless 830875 Nomex cone woofers with an RD75 in a separate chamber. 4 Fountek Neo CD 2.0 Ribbons will act as super tweeters.

Subs, Woofers and Fountek's already acquired. System is active with DBX260 for management.

One new option which I thought of myself is a stack of 9 Dayton AMTPro4's Dayton Audio AMTPRO-4 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter 4 Ohm per side. These would easily meet SPL requirements, stack 71" high to maintain line array attributes. Individually they are well reviewed. While they do not go as low as the RD75's 250hz it seems that they can do 800hz which should work quite well with the Peerless woofers. This would absolutely push my budget to the limit since our Canadian dollar has tanked. We are talking $3500 for 18 of these to my door. 2 X RD75's with current exchange and tax would have been $2400.

Open to suggestions, alternate drivers etc.

Cheers
Derek

This might be a little off but I know of a guy here who has a pair of BG speakers for sale in Singapore. Might be able to get a good price from him. If I remembered correctly it has a built in 6 or 8 inch woofer

Thanks Jaffrie, I am looking for just the 2 RD75 raw drivers by themselves. My brother does travel to Singapore monthly though. If your guy has RD75's available have him PM me.

Cheers
Derek

From the website - newformresearch.com

'The R45 is a classic design Ribbon used on our R645v3 model. It has thousands of fans around the world.
The R45 is designed as a top mount Ribbon for use above the cabinet housing the midbasses. Good efficiency, wide dispersion and superb soundstaging are the basis for the R45s classic status.'

yes and elsewhere it talks about "tightly suspended" diaphragm and the fact of multi Ohm rating argues for it not being a true ribbon

a clear statement of fact, cross section drawings, close up photo...

... where's the hard info on these parts - no way would it be rational to order on what I can find for documentation

Yes. I am not necessarily advocating for them. I was just thinking of something that is similar. The specs say 91 db and 1k to 20k. I have never heard them. Opinions seemed to be positive on them but you know what they say about opinions.........
They are in Canada. Maybe the OP can check them out.

Hi rb & jcx, ty for input. I have looked at Newform (3rd sentence of opening post) products on their outdated site and even Googled their address with street view and it looks like a guy working out of his house. I am nervous with Newform as they seem to be a small operator and I have seen a lot of ad's on CAM.

Would like to here from anyone that has done a line array of AMT"S and what were the results.

Cheers!

Did you look at the measurements?

Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 09.24.22.png

The response is all over the place and the 2nd harmonic has peaks of up to 5%, even the 5th has a peak close to 1% and this at a level of 85dBSPL (I assume at 1m).

regards,

Gerrit

I found these two sites, while searching the net. Both Chinese, I think. Both, I think, will ship to the U.S. May be worth the effort?

ºñ¼Íµç×ÓÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾

Shop ribbon speaker online - Buy ribbon speaker for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

Though, AliExpress can be difficult to navigate and find product. It sells tons of different items.

The second one is probably the same as the one linked by X83 (the MAG100M). bg-speaker.de does not have any unit's left as ezrider4040 said, I asked (they were out of stock since 9 months). Your com.tw link appears to be dead.

The ali-express links that might be interesting are these:

- Ultra thin flat raw speaker ribbon tweeter unit AMT driver for DIY HiFI monitor audio -in Speakers from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
- ribbon tweeter planar transformer transducer Air motion tweeter AMT-in Speakers from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Though price wise, Dayton is on par, and then you know what you'll get..

Any other options?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.