Looking for an Open Baffle Dipole project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

First post. :p

Have done a few DIY builds before (not my own designs) of speakers and amps and are fairly good with a set of power tools. I have access to a carpentry workshop and even a CNC if needed.

I have a small 2-way dipole project that makes use of a single point source mid/hi unit, a high excursion bass driver and a constrained baffle system. It is driven by a minimal amount of components, namely a Crown power amp for the low side, a T2020 Tripath on the highs, and a dBX EQ for dipole compensation. XO is handled passively in-line with F-mods.

The feedback has been great, especially considering the minimal outlay for a complete DIY system.

My existing DIY system was built in 1990. I built a preamp and power amp with similar modules, constructed in pure discrete technic, current feedback type with exact mirror configuration, with cheap IRF's, compound wired on the end. The only implemented chip was op97 for exact 0.00V on output. On loudspeaker side was elaborated many proposals, but old KEF B110, B139 and T33 was that time the best and half priced vs. Dynaudio. Bass is transmission line with real bass, sometimes you got everything, but not the bass (in my case 274cm long pipe and long fiber wool), others satellites 10litres, coils of tweeter and midrange exact in phase. On filter network was implemented standard film capacitors, exactly measured and home made open-air cored inductors with 2mm copper for faster response and cooked in varnish.
All of these years there was nothing closer with response on many fairs and exhibitions. This days I wake up and going to realize from old days half-elaborated more fast amplifier-modules (up to sonic 2,000V/µS) and implemented with active filters and 5 power amplifiers. The source was first few years old Dual 1229 with Linn head 10 and self made super exact RIAA, then Yamaha CD, now Yamaha S2300. Conclusion, you can't outperform music, made with tape heads and Ampex 741 platform mixers, but if you are lucky and keep phase shift in audio spectrum inside 1° you are really able to hear such improvement for also today's high end amplifiers and dipoles and and. Then you became a wooden instruments, pure vocal and brass into room live. Excuse me for bad English, this is my first post.

I have built a few.....but all are kits designed by people with more skill
than I will ever have.
Seems to me that someone that has developed many successfull commercial products would have the edge on anything I would come up with.
I bought a OB coax kit from Danny Ritchie from GR Research about 18 mos ago. Was expecting good....wasnt expecting knock my socks off.
This one uses a P-Audio 12" Co-ax and Servo subs.....if you think you cant get into the low 20s and keep the sensitivity high (97db)....well your mistaken.
This bests a lot of high $ speaks I've heard.... the kit price was under $2k
It had a great response at RMAF this yr......many thought best of show.
Aman-venue2.jpg

102_1857.jpg

102_1859.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.