Looking for an EQ unit to go between pre + power for sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The Behringer DSP1124 works well as a sub EQ. Ignore it's original intent (killing feedback in PA systems) and it can be set up with 10 bands of parametric EQ per channel. It's often referred to as the BFD (Behringer feedback destroyer). Not good enough audio quality for full range use, but fin for sub frequencies. Inputs are 1/4" phone, so you'll need adapters for RCA's.

Search for the Room EQ Wizard software - it's written specifically to use the capabilities of the BFD.

I paid around $100 for my BFD.

Bill

Piece of cake to cook up a sub-sonic filter. I used some National Semiconductor cookbook to cobble together a 36 dB/8ave, 25 Hz filter. No need to be fantasy/purist and use any lower 3dB point. Not sure as anybody is pumping serious amounts of musically significant sound much below 30 Hz or where their fundamental is stronger than the distortion harmonics.

The subsonic garbage can cause an awful lot of wasted excursion, power cost, Doppler, funny non-musical noises, and so on.

Earlier I mentioned a LF parametric equalizer (for EQ not for sub-sonic filtering, duh). I shaped up a two-band unit working down to around 30 Hz with the usual parametric controls for Q and gain. There will be inevitable LF bumps and dips in a real-world room and having two points of influence is pretty helpful. Easy enough to make one since you can calibrate the dials after you are done!

Piece of cake to cook up a sub-sonic filter. I used some National Semiconductor cookbook to cobble together a 36 dB/8ave, 25 Hz filter. No need to be fantasy/purist and use any lower 3dB point. Not sure as anybody is pumping serious amounts of musically significant sound much below 30 Hz or where their fundamental is stronger than the distortion harmonics.

The subsonic garbage can cause an awful lot of wasted excursion, power cost, Doppler, funny non-musical noises, and so on.

Earlier I mentioned a LF parametric equalizer (for EQ not for sub-sonic filtering, duh). I shaped up a two-band unit working down to around 30 Hz with the usual parametric controls for Q and gain. There will be inevitable LF bumps and dips in a real-world room and having two points of influence is pretty helpful. Easy enough to make one since you can calibrate the dials after you are done!

What's this, Jedi Mind Trick?

1187112388029.jpg

It may be a "piece of cake" for you, but can we build it for < $100 usd? How about a complete BOM for a soup to nuts build?

It may be a "piece of cake" for you, but can we build it for < $100 usd? How about a complete BOM for a soup to nuts build?

Not sure what a BOM is but National Semiconductor, for example, have very simple "cookbooks."

It has been a few years since I last heated up the old soldering iron and made filters, but I'll try to post something soon. Under $100, yes, easy, but not counting tools (but you could use free audio downloads and the VU meter on your cassette recorder).

"Piece of cake" is relative, of course. But a fair description for a project close to "entry level" DIY construction and do-able on a generic breadboard circuitboard. Or a sharp subsonic filter, a step lower. If it is above your level, you well might consider it because of lotsa audio bang and little personal cost and quite educational.

Schematic for parametric equalizer

Here is the parametric equalizer kit schematic from Phoenix Systems, long since deceased.

Is there any component you don't recognize, couldn't buy, and otherwise have much trouble wiring up? If you are intrigued with the possibility of building your own, what is stopping you?

Attachments

• Param eq 1.jpg
    Param eq 1.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 86
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.