Looking for a mechanical part for Theta Data Basic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

A new member here... Been reading Peter's thread on the boom box reconstruction.

Meanwhile, I have a decent Theta Data Basic that needs a part. It works very well electronically (until I start modding it:eek:); however has a bad drive gear for the drawer.

As owners of this drive know, Theta wants nothing to do with it.:mad:

Therefore, I am asking the community globally to check their parts drawers and see if they have a suitable (or exact) replacement for this pulley/gear piece. I am willing to pay for it- no hand-outs here! PayPal waiting...

I think the drive was/is called "Pro 9" or something like that... Should have payed better attention...

Dimensions:

Pulley OD= 43.00-43.15mm (probably made at 43)
Pulley Groove= ~40.25 as measured with my calipers. Note I cannot get ALL the way to the bottom...
Shaft major OD= 10.5mm
Shaft ID= 2.94mm (Probably made at 3mm)
Gear OD= 10.1mm (note most are broken in my case- which is why I need another!)
Gear root= 6.16mm (as best as I can measure)
Overall height= ABOUT 24mm. It is dished out on the bottom, and difficult to measure with calipers...
Color= orange-brown (and I don't care if different! just for identification purposes!)
It also has a small 'seal' on the bottom side (side against my hand) as well. The seal is light green if that helps at all... It rides on a brass shaft riveted to a steel plate in the drive.

Photo attached... Thanks in advance to everyone!!! (now off to read the electronic mods for this baby...):p

Attachments

• IMG_4303.JPG
    IMG_4303.JPG
    926.1 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the reply!

I actually did find one there ($18 each shipped) but also read on other threads about an ABS replacement (better material) that I am interested in. The one on eBay appears to be a stock replacement (based on color and details) and will also fail the same death I'm sure...

Still waiting to hear from a member I e-mailed regarding the ABS replcement...:)

Looks like it's a common failure ;) The very same happened to my Theta Data Basic. Get yourself a cheap as chips Philips (Magnavox in the US) CD player & cut off the geared part of the draw mechanism, the bit that has lost the teeth, then cut off the bu**ered bit on that pulley & plastic weld the new bit on.

Problem solved :D

E2A:- find yourself a remote control for something like a Marantz CD63 or similar & revel in all the new functions the remote control gives you :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.