Logic vs. emotion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
abraxalito said:
Well if I'm claiming something I hope you'll pick me up on it.
You claimed that I had been fooled by Randi, but I am unclear (and not particularly interested in) what you mean by this.

The core point, which I think most can agree on, is that people (including physical scientists and audio enthusiasts) tend to see/hear what they expect to see/hear and may interpret whatever raw evidence they have in the light of this unconscious bias. Conversely, they may ignore or reject evidence which conflicts with their bias. This does not mean that science is worthless, far from it, but it does mean that science is not infallible. The biggest danger arises when science hitches itself to a bandwagon, because it then can tend to suppress dissent. All human societies do this, and physical science does it less than most, but it does do it. In the long run science generally corrects itself.

You claimed that I had been fooled by Randi, but I am unclear (and not particularly interested in) what you mean by this.

That was an observation, based on what your own impression of Randi was. However I'll say no more as you're not particularly interested.

The core point, which I think most can agree on, is that people (including physical scientists and audio enthusiasts) tend to see/hear what they expect to see/hear and may interpret whatever raw evidence they have in the light of this unconscious bias. Conversely, they may ignore or reject evidence which conflicts with their bias. This does not mean that science is worthless, far from it, but it does mean that science is not infallible. The biggest danger arises when science hitches itself to a bandwagon, because it then can tend to suppress dissent. All human societies do this, and physical science does it less than most, but it does do it. In the long run science generally corrects itself.

Yep, no disagreements there. The latest bandwagon that science has hitched itself to seems to be String Theory, at least going on Lee Smolin's analysis in 'What's wrong with Physics'.

Yes, my personal view (which could be completely wrong) is that string theory is nonsense and has taken theoretical physics in the wrong direction for many years. It allows geometers to kid themselves that they are doing physics, just like they have done for years with gravity and cosmology.

Far more interesting are the recent experimental results which may hint at a Higgs (at last!) or a new force beyond the Standard Model. And there is still the elephant sitting quietly in the corner of the room: what exactly is Time and why does it have a direction? I don't fully buy the usual thermodynamic argument about entropy change defining time's arrow.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
bandwagon

It has to be like that, one man's opinion or findings isn't enough. A large group of men has to agree with him, then it can be called science. We all know how difficult it is to find a large group of anything agreeing on something, that's why science goes slowly but maybe sure-footed. The problem lies in human knowledge. Is it any good? Is it good enough to understand the whole picture?

Last edited:
The reason I joined this discussion was that I didn't particularly like the tone of the article linked to at the top of the thread. It generalises by linking a scepticism of science to political persuasion - based on some dodgy statistics taken from personality questionnaires (peer reviewed and published no doubt). I instinctively rile at that sort of thing; it's Kafka-esque...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
BSc MSc PhD, with six peer-reviewed papers published. Do I count?

Sure Doc - but be careful - you could wind up in the "pre-biased" scientific point of view category.

There is no good and clean way out of this topic - other than to walk away and do what you do. Let the others follow. That coming from an ENTJ - which opens up a different can of worms. :D:D:D

Cassiel said:
The problem lies in human knowledge. Is it any good? Is it good enough to understand the whole picture?
Good? Yes. Enough? No.

c2cthomas said:
you could wind up in the "pre-biased" scientific point of view category.
The funny thing is that people who are into weird stuff like crystals will assume (correctly) that as a physical scientist I am not one of them (so hopelessly biased), yet according to some scientists I am not a real scientist either (because I take a creationist view of origins). So both the nutters and the rationalists will disagree with me!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Good? Yes. Enough? No.

The funny thing is that people who are into weird stuff like crystals will assume (correctly) that as a physical scientist I am not one of them (so hopelessly biased), yet according to some scientists I am not a real scientist either (because I take a creationist view of origins). So both the nutters and the rationalists will disagree with me!
Ahhhh- don't worry about it - nobody believes anything I say. Which goes to prove that I hang out with a pretty smart crowd! :D:D:D

DF96, you pretty much hit on my view, though I'm a different sort of "a little of this and a little of that". MLKjr was right. What's important is the content of a person's character.

BTW, my signature is something often said by my mother, and it's all about bias.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Good? Yes. Enough? No.

Some points of agreement here. I disagree with c2cthomas' views about this thread though. :D

This development involves one fundamental and complex question: is science possible? In other words, what is human knowledge, what are the limits of human knowledge, how can we be certain of human knowledge of the world, etc. It should be clear that Kant’s main concern in the present text is to respond to Hume’s challenge to the arrogance of human reason –the idea that reason can construct scientific systems of knowledge of the world, that reason can “give birth of itself” to fundamental concepts that are true of the world, and hence come to know that world “as it really is.” In other words, Hume claims, with some solid justification, that we know nothing of the world per se; we believe things about the world, but the warrants for those beliefs are ultimately less than is required for knowledge.

Kant basically takes up Hume’s challenge with a little more rigor –he engages in what he calls a “critique” (a self-critique) of the faculties of human knowledge, specifically of the faculty of pure reason. We will have to watch and see precisely what he means by this, and how this critique works, here I will just summarize some of his basic results. First, Kant discovers that Hume is right. All knowledge must originate from experience, and claims to know things beyond experience are false (strictly speaking), though they still have some practical uses. Second, however, he discovers that even though all knowledge must originate from experience, it is not based in or warranted by experience. Instead, he discovers that there are “transcendental conditions for the possibility of any experience whatsoever” operative already in the structure of human consciousness (or mind) –these are what he refers to as the pure categories of reason. In other words, pure reason is operative in experience as a kind of structuring principle that makes experience possible. Again, the details will have to await explication after you have read the material. One important note, however, this is not a “psychologism” –that is, Kant is not saying that our brains are “wired” to experience things in such and such a way. For Kant, this kind of claim is ultimately unwarranted. This is a claim about human minds, not human brains. Finally, with these two basic ideas in hand, Kant believes it is possible to lay out exactly what we mean when we say that we “know” something to be true about the world –that is, how we can save the universal and necessary claims of the sciences from being reduced to mere probability.

...yet according to some scientists I am not a real scientist either (because I take a creationist view of origins). So both the nutters and the rationalists will disagree with me!

If you were a biologist, then yes, your views would disqualify you from serious scientific discourse in the same way that being an anti-Einstein crank would disqualify one from any serious discourse in physics (all assuming that you weren't bringing some startlingly new experimental evidence to the table). However, I know several very competent physical scientists who hold, ahhh, unconventional beliefs in areas that do not relate to physical science. No problems for them professionally. I suppose that there may be biologists who believe in aether or phlogiston, but I've spent less time among that community than among physicists and physical chemists so can't say for sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.