Lobbying for a Class D Forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wytco0 said:
Yes please, I assume this will include other digital types like T.

Immo_G said:
Would you consider class D and tripath amps close enough to switch mode power supplies to use the same forum section? I can't see any problem with it :)

Tripath or "class T" is class D by all technical standards. The "T" designation is a commercial item.

I think it's safe to say that a class D amplifier is one where all the power devices are operated as switches.

btw: I don't consider linear amps with tracking switchmode supplies (aka sunfire, bash etc) class D, but I reckon none of you does.

Cheers,

Bruno

till said:
nothing against an additional class d forum, also next will be people want class a, class ab, class b and class c forum...

Hang on there... You can move any [push-pull] linear amp design from class a thru ab to class b simply by changing the amount of bias current.

Class C is for single frequencies only and requires the addition of a tank circuit after the bias voltage was made below-threshold.

However, class D is a completely different animal - you can't go to class D by simply tweaking the bias pot.

Therefore the difference between linear and switching amplifiers is very real.

Maybe the forum could be called "switchmode power" to get rid of the confusion, but that wouldn't be more than an act of linguistic purism.

Cheers,

Bruno

Bruno Putzeys said:
Maybe the forum could be called "switchmode power" to get rid of the confusion, but that wouldn't be more than an act of linguistic purism.
Someone already "owns" that word. :rolleyes:
Boy! I wish I could sell words to people. What a great business that would be!

Attachments

• switchmode.gif
    switchmode.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 328
peranders said:
The moderators haven't talked so much about this but the time is working for a separate forum for class D but right now class D is VERY rare amongst DIY'ers.... even more rare than SMD :nod:

Hmmmm..... Majority rule? Looks like we're landing on the wrong side of democracy here. I hope the moderators will understand that our minority status is not a good argument against an accommodation which is essentially without cost.

I'm trying to remember when I last used a resistor with wires sticking out... 1995? Sheesh I'm getting old. My last linear amplifier is getting quite dusty too.

"Class D & SMPS"

I would call the eventually new forum "Class D & SMPS"

Class D is Switching mode amplifiers and SMPS is for the universal shortness among powersupply designer "Switch Mode Power Supply".

In this forum will everything count in that works in switching mode, not linear mode.
IMHO it's not an issue in what class any amplifier is working in I think, but in which mode.

And if we can collect people to this forum who are intrested also in SMPS technology then it will drag even more people who can contribute with expertise from both fields.

Just som "professional" words from me! :cool:

Hi,

As a DIY'r I'd like to say minority or not, "Class D" is arguably where the future/present of audio is going, and I also think the term say's enough as a forum name.

SMPS, are a forum all of their own. There's enough variations of them that have little to do with audio applications, which can be posted in their own forum, and it will remain our jobs to pick and choose that technology which is readily adaptable for audio purposes...buck converter...single period error correction...power factor controllers as amplifiers..This we'll post in "Class D".

I think adding SMPS to the Class D forum would be exactly like throwing in Class B with it.

Helps maintain that high "signal to noise" posting ratio which I've really come to enjoy here.

Thanks.

Chris B

Hi,

I add my vote twice. :smash:

The "feature request" feature doesn't work for me either, as I also get the password error.....can we get an engineer on that ....I want a recount.

I thought at first it might be because i'm a probationary member
(typically I lurk and don't post much ...so far) and so perhaps would not have access to such a feature. Hence my posting here.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.