LM3886 vs LM3875, for those that have heard both only!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Additional info:

All of them were using PCB. The LM3875's PCB is very close to Fedde's Chill amp. // Only LM3875 got +500hrs of burn-in (I rarely turn off this 3875 amp for weeks), the rest got around 100hrs. Not sure if this causes difference.

Then we spent the whole night compared the LM3875 with NAD 320BEE in the same room (after finished dozens of beers), they still prefer the LM3875 with the same reason.

>>
PS: I also try to parallel 4 of the 3875 with +/-35Vdc using the circuit I asked for advice here long time ago. And the sound was so-so.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
500 hour of burn - in

Have you heard sometimes something about psychoaccoustic ?

I don't think so.

BTW, the LM3875 have more hours of burning because it was finished 3 weeks earlier the rest. All have no power switch. As I mentioned, I rarely listen music very load , this may be make me hard to tell the difference. One day I invited those my friends came to my new house and they never heard those amps before. The comparision had simply been by switch the speak cables back & forth.

Here is the BOSSA speaker I use:
http://www.xav-audio.com/html/tempo_series.php

with the super tweeter.

http://www.xav-audio.com/html/rebecca.php

(( Sorry it's in Thai //wink ))

A direct comparison wouldnt be fair here I think. Both chips has different external components for optimisation, layout, etc... and feeding the 3886 with 1000uF panasonic FC is not being fair to the chip.

I think most people enjoy the 3875 better because it is far easier to build: more friendly pin layout, less components and wiring steps, which results in less oscillation and humming problems. Oscillations, even at much higher frequencies beyond hearing range does effects the musicality of the amp. I believe thats why most people does not really dig into 3886.

3886, if snuberised and grounded properly can give better bass defination and dynamics better than 3875. But having said that, my next gainclone will be a 3875 because I allready ran out of 3886. Not a really big matter.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I'm happy to report that my earlier comments on the 3886 are unfounded!

Since running the amp in the bass has tightened up a lot, compared to it's early days where it was boomy, even bloomy :\

In retrospect (can be a dangerous thing) my ars, erm, opinion, is that they're both great sounding chips in their own right. The bass is certainly fuller on the 3886 and while it doesn't mask out the mids and highs I think because it is a fuller sound the mids/highs naturally aren't as in-your-face as the 3875. What I'm trying to say is the 3875's bass appears a little throttled back to 'match' the rest of the sound produced.

Verdict: I like them both! And don't anyone say I'm not allowed to :p

I liked the clarity and brighter sound of the lm3875 better than my lm3886, but they were buildt using different parameters, designs and parts, so comparacing isn't fair.

working on a new lm3886amp now though.
Bufferd, snubbed and compact.
looking forward to trying it. i have more faith in the one i'm making this time around.

"i'l be back"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.