LM3886 MyRef C Support

Hi All,
Hope you all are having a good time there.
I am new to this forum with a handful of diy ambitions :)

Recently I have met one of my friends who owns MyRef Revision C of LM3886 amp, and I was totally surprised with sound quality. Tried then in the local market for the same pre-assembled one, but had no luck.
After going through this forum, got enough confidence to build it by my own. I am not a electronics graduate, however I know the basics of electronics and how analogue electronics works. [Between I have assembled few amps before using the pre-assembled chip boards, I know that is not enough to excel in audio electronics].

Now my requests to everyone are-
1. Is there any well designed PCB layout and its BOM of MyRef Revision C available so that I can make a board out of it.
2. Or else, please refer any shops which are located in Bangalore, India.
3. If MyRef version requires a pre-amp (probably with tone controls), please suggest a good design which do not degrade sound.

I would really appreciate your support in making this project as memorable one :)

Thank you.
Sha

While I have no doubt that the Fremen Edition is probably better, its not "chalk and cheese"!
The Rev C is capable of delivering most of what the Rev FE can do. (as you have already heard). Really it comes down to being comfortable with the SMDs used in the FE.
If you are happy to deal with SMDs then the FE is the way to go. If not then the Rev C might be better. I built a Rev C for that reason and I haven't regretted the decision. Dario does offer an option to have the SMDs pre-soldered, but it costs more, and some may consider it to not be in the spirit DIY.
The only problem at the moment is finding good PCBs for the REV C. I used Siva's (Linuxguru) 1.4 boards, but they appear to be no longer available. The only other option I know of is

2pcs DIY LM3886T LM3886TF diyAudio My Reference rev.C Power Amplifier PCB Board

I can't vouch for the quality, but they might be worth a try.

Thank you Joseph and Naaling.
It would be difficult for me to try soldering the SMD. I think I will keep the Fremen Edition aside for the time being :)

Is anyone here had experience with the ebay PCB which Naaling mentioned above? If it satisfies at least 80% of the design guidelines of audio scheme layouting, I shall go for a try.

Thank you.
Sha

The Rev C is capable of delivering most of what the Rev FE can do. (as you have already heard).

No way.

The Fremen Edition sounds way better than Rev. C and have two orders of magnitude less distortion...

The only problem at the moment is finding good PCBs for the REV C. I used Siva's (Linuxguru) 1.4 boards, but they appear to be no longer available. The only other option I know of is
(...)
I can't vouch for the quality, but they might be worth a try.

Those eBay boards are a knock-off of Linuxguru design, I would feel really bad buying those.

If you want a through hole design, in the orignal My_Ref thread Russ White posted Eagle files of its design.

No way.

The Fremen Edition sounds way better than Rev. C and have two orders of magnitude less distortion...

Dario
I'm not looking for an argument, but what does "way better" mean?
Are you saying that a Rev C is not a good choice for someone who doesn't want to deal with SMDs? You once rated it as a very good amplifier. As far as I can tell, it still is.

Those eBay boards are a knock-off of Linuxguru design, I would feel really bad buying those.

If you want a through hole design, in the orignal My_Ref thread Russ White posted Eagle files of its design.

The OP's initial request for information went unanswered for 2 weeks, and even when a response came it didn't answer the questions he asked about the Rev C.
Clearly, no one on this forum has any interest in making Rev C boards available. In fact there is no evidence to suggest that anyone has any interest in the Rev C at all. Therefore I can't see how this ebay seller is offending anyone here.
When Russ White released the eagle files, he did so on the basis that they are only used for DIY. Given the number of boards available and the price he's selling them for, its difficult to see this ebay seller as a commercial enterprise, or that his boards are being used for anything else other than to build DIY amplifiers.

Also I should point out that ebay boards are not a direct copy of any one of Russ's or Siva's designs, although they are clearly based on Russ's layout and incorporate many of Siva's modifications.

I'm not looking for an argument, but what does "way better" mean?

Exactly what I wrote, it sounds MUCH better.

The FE will sound more refined, bigger soundstage, better control, and not by a small amount.

Are you saying that a Rev C is not a good choice for someone who doesn't want to deal with SMDs?

It's a very good choice but not as good as the FE, and not by a small margin.

You once rated it as a very good amplifier. As far as I can tell, it still is.

Absolutely but, if you didn't catch it already, not as good.

Also I should point out that ebay boards are not a direct copy of any one of Russ's or Siva's designs, although they are clearly based on Russ's layout and incorporate many of Siva's modifications.

I've offered you a correct way to have them but If you feel comfortable with your conscience just buy them... I wouldn't.

It's a very good choice but not as good as the FE, and not by a small margin.

That's the only point I'm trying to make!

If you re read my first post you will find the following quotes

"I have no doubt that the Fremen Edition is probably better"
"If you are happy to deal with SMDs then the FE is the way to go"

I've always accepted that the Fremen Edition is the better design. However, if a prospective builder doesn't want to deal with SMDs then the Rev C is still a "very good choice".

The problem with statements like "way better" is that they are relative and subjective. Therefore I can't possibly understand what you mean, without being able to experience the situation from your perspective. All I know is that in the audiophile world, people can spend enormous amounts of time, money and effort to achieve improvements that others will barely notice.

That's the only point I'm trying to make!.

It seems you don’t want to understand what I’ve said clear and loud, the Fremen Edition sounds MUCH better, difference is BIG, distortion is two orders of magnitude smaller.

The SMD use has a marginal role, what makes the difference are:

- a way better and clever PCB design with much higher attention to signal integrity
- a regulated power supply for the LM318
- a much better compensation scheme
- different grounding of the LM3886

The only thing in common between the two amps is main circuit topology but this only a part of the design (and performance).

This is my last post about it, I can’t ever imagine how could I be more clear than this.

It seems you don’t want to understand what I’ve said clear and loud, the Fremen Edition sounds MUCH better, difference is BIG, distortion is two orders of magnitude smaller.

The SMD use has a marginal role, what makes the difference are:

- a way better and clever PCB design with much higher attention to signal integrity
- a regulated power supply for the LM318
- a much better compensation scheme
- different grounding of the LM3886

The only thing in common between the two amps is main circuit topology but this only a part of the design (and performance).

This is my last post about it, I can’t ever imagine how could I be more clear than this.

I'm totally confused. I've always accepted that the FE is the better design.
So why are you going to such lengths to convince me of something I already know and have openly accepted.
If you are trying to say that no one should build a RevC because the Fe is better, then I don't agree with you, for the reasons I've already stated.

I don't think I can be any clearer either!

If you are trying to say that no one should build a RevC because the Fe is better, then I don't agree with you, for the reasons I've already stated.

That's not what I'm saying...

What I contest is:

The Rev C is capable of delivering most of what the Rev FE can do.

Which, IMHO, is completely FALSE.

Let's say it in another way.

Let imagine a conversation:

Q: I want to build a composite amp that sounds terrific, uses only through hole parts and I want to spend as little as possible, could the My_Ref Rev. C be a viable solution?

A: Absolutely

Q: Someone told me that My_Evo and My_Ref Fremen Edition sound better but they're both using SMD parts, I'm not able to solder those little demons, is there a big difference among them and the My_Ref Rev. C?

A: Yes, difference is pretty big, they both sound way better and offer two order of magnitude less distortion. If your problem is only fear of soldering SMD parts I offer boards with SMD parts already soldered for 50€ more, which includes 20€of SMD parts, manual soldering with ROHS silver solder, thorough cleaning and visual inspection.

Q: I'm not ready to give you 30€ for your service I'm not able to do and I don't value 45 minutes of your time so much, will the My_Ref C sounds so much different than the FE?

A: Sorry, what you value my time and work doesn't change the fact that the two designs sounds pretty much different.

Thank you all for your time.
Sorry for the delayed response, I was little busy with my job.

I understand that FE edition is better at various aspects, but right now I am not in a position to afford the cost of FE PCB and the SMDs. Also, managing SMD's is little difficult for me at this point.

I am planning to go through the various threads of the Rev-C threads to find out a reference to PCB layout. Maybe I can make a handmade PCB out of that with the help of someone who is aware of that.

I shall come back with a PCB layout.

Thank you again :)

-Sha

Thank you all for your time.
Sorry for the delayed response, I was little busy with my job.

I understand that FE edition is better at various aspects, but right now I am not in a position to afford the cost of FE PCB and the SMDs. Also, managing SMD's is little difficult for me at this point.

I am planning to go through the various threads of the Rev-C threads to find out a reference to PCB layout. Maybe I can make a handmade PCB out of that with the help of someone who is aware of that.

I shall come back with a PCB layout.

Thank you again :)

-Sha

I believe that this is the information Russ White posted concerning his single sided PCB design (the original link is now dead). Apparently this design was prototyped and tested. but never widely used, due to the development of a double sided option.

Attachments

• monobloc_rev_c_silk.pdf
    53.5 KB · Views: 208
  • monobloc_rev_c_copper.pdf
    94.1 KB · Views: 228
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 856
Apologies for the late reply.

Thanks a lot Naaling for sharing for the PCB layout. This is something which I can get it done without much complexities. .

I got few more queries like
1. Is it possible to parallel/bridge MyRef version to increase output power?
2. Is there any matching pre-amp circuit available for MyRef?

Once again thank you all for your time :)

-Sha

shabusf
If the power from the MyRef is insufficient for your needs you should look for another design. Dario has made substantial improvements over the original TwistedPear offering of this circuit. That is not to say that many of the same refinements cannot be kludged onto the original board. These narrow the differences but seeing that you are self admitting your inexperience, I would direct you to Dario to build your MyRef.

This thread could become useful if it were repurposed for the use of those experimenting with the compensation network and layout tweaks on the original boards (ie: Twisted Pear/UDaily/Linux Guru). These discussions could also include strategies for integrating it to accept multiple sources. If Mauro is looking down from heaven, I suspect he would approve of having his original contribution to this hobby singing as well as it can.