LM3875T to be obsoleted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some manufacturers are shipping devices with a PBF suffix -- doesn't appear to be the case here. As we know, the LM3886 and LM3875 are not interchangeable due to the pinout and mute functions. Looks like the LM3875 is going the way of the LM12.

I have attached a comparison of the two chips.

Attachments

• lm3886_lm3875.gif
    lm3886_lm3875.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 596
Peter Daniel said:
DigiKey now ships lead free version of those chips (gold print instead of white). Any idea what exactly is defferent in manufacturing process?

This is a result of the Restriction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS) in Europe. Lead is no longer used in the manufacturing process. Most all electronics manufactuers will comply to not loose the Euro market.

from National's page it looks like this is just a conversion from the standard part to a no lead part. But then they show a replacement part number as the LM3886. If it was just a conversion to no lead I don't think it would show such. I will check with my National contact and see if I can find out.

-SL

Nationals info is a bit confusing. It lists only LM3875T and LM3875TF. For the T version, availability is "Lifetime buy", whatever that means (that is to become obsolete?). However, if clicking the Rohs link for this product, one finds the following:
http://www.national.com/quality/green/comppdf.cgi?partno=LM3875T

There seems to be two more versions of each of the above, with the extra suffix AULF or NOPB. I guess we have to assume these are the new lead free versions (whether yet available or not). Clicking on the various versions on this page yields even more surprising information. Both the AULF and NOPB versions are both Eureopean Rohs compliant and China Rohs compliant. But for the TF version, both AULF and NOPB are only European Rohs compliant, not Chinese compliant! I wonder why? I didn't even know there was something like chinese Rohs compliance. It seems however both to exist and differ from the European variant.

Wardsweb said:
"Lifetime Buy" refers to a part that is being obsoleted where, if you can not design the part out, you must calculate the number of units you will need to support the lifetime of your product and purchase that quantity as a one time buy.

Thanks. Yes I thought it meant something like that, although I didn't have such a clear idea of it as your description.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Wardsweb said:
"Lifetime Buy" refers to a part that is being obsoleted where, if you can not design the part out, you must calculate the number of units you will need to support the lifetime of your product and purchase that quantity as a one time buy.

Thank you for that information - even if it's information I hope never to have to use!

Considering the various National web pages I referred to earlier and then combining this with the pictures Daniel posted, I think we can draw the conclusion that the AULF and NOPB suffixes are mainly for internal use at National, and not part of the official part number. That is, internally National currently manufacturers three different products with internal part numbers LM3875T, LM3875T-AULF and LM3875T-NOPB, but towards customers these are all lumped together as one product with part number LM3875T (although I suspect at least large customers can specify internal parts numbers when ordering).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.