LM3875 issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've read that (and I think you guys mentioned the same thing) that the rca plug should not be grounded by just contacting the chassis through its hole. Should I perhaps run electrical tape through the hole to isolate it? For a neater appearance in the the future though, where can I find well isolated rca plugs (female)?

You want RCA jacks with isolation washers. I've had zero luck finding the washers alone to add to my stock of cheapo jacks, but http://www.tubesandmore.com has the whole kit.
User their search for part number "S-H267"

Synesthesia said:
yes, ma, miliamps. I've seen some of the best amplifiers in the world run off of batteries.
But surely not on millamps. That would be on gel cell batteries the size of a small car battery.

Synesthesia said:
Even with allot of hum, should I hear any music at all?
Depends on what causes the hum and how strong it is. With a normal ground loop you should hear music above the hum. If the hum is caused by the spike protection system trying to protect the IC, then you will probably not hear anything but a crackling hum.

Check the following things:
- polarity of the input connector
- soldering joints for unwanted interconnections
- soldering joints for good and reliable connection
- compare connections to schematic
- check all component values

Is that hum present
- with anything connected to the input
- with nothing connected to the input
- all the time

Again, without photos or accurate drawings of your amplifier it is next to impossible to help you.

Synesthesia said:

I've seen some of the best amplifiers in the world run off of batteries.
------
BTW, I finally layed down the cash and bought the Ultimate Ears Triple fi earphones. I must say that they sound unbelievable.

this can confirm
you must be plain stupid to mix 220 Volt AC
with an input signal of 1-2 mV AC RMS
to expect to get the result ytou want

Ultrasimple MM/NC RIAA PreAmp
by Thorsten Loesch - the audio amplifier manwe like to read!
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9628

now, you may be ore stupid than me

but no way any 220 Volt AC wall plugin
will EVER match one 12 VDC battery

if you think so
it proves only you are one Diy audi beginner
with not much real knowledge at all

regards :cool:
Lineup Audio informations - for all

hehe :D suit yourself - if you miss my audio stuff at my forum

When you say solder to aluminium, I hope you are not trying to solder to the heatsink... You need a special machine to impart that kind of energy fast and focused enough...

The best way is to tap a hole for a screw, then use one of those washers with the little teeth and a nut , or just a nut with teeth.
Wires get a crimp on connector, the type with the hole....

If you are going to build amps, you may as well get the equipment, an M3 tap and an assortment of M3 screws from 6 to 20mm will come in handy so very often it is worth spending a few bucks... The screws are cheap, maybe 1 or 2 dollars for a box of 100, but spend good money on buying a engineering quality tap,
I bought an M3 set of three (you need all three to do 1 hole properly) from RS components for about $20.

That smell....it has been so long I almost started to miss it. The chip is dead...so dead that it would have blown itself apart if it weren't for the book I had to hold it down to the heat sink. An 8 amp fuse is also gone. Right before it died the lightbulb did shine brightly by the way....

Do these chips contain any toxic materials? I can see a watery substance coming through the crack in it....

I'm just going to get a kit and use a GOOD transformer, not this piece of s***.

Should I scrap the other chip and start fresh?

So damn aggravating....

Maybe I should just continue working on my theory....if it works out I will be able to afford the most expensive amps in the world...no need to DIY it. Though its not as fun.....or at this point painful

Hi,

I just realised you built the GC based on schematics on my site. It was taken from diyaudioprojects.com and is the simplest schematic around.

You should at least get it to play music even with hum. If no music, then there is a very serious issue.

Once my GC was built, i literally did not touch it, don't need anything better as they are simply amplifiers. The best way to improve sound is the loudspeakers and that's why I lurk in loudspeakers section more.

I looked around for vintage amps the other day and found out that good marantz etc actually worth around $120 nowadays. That means if you're not really interested to DIY the amp there are really good values around at roughly the same price - and most likely with better looking chassis ! Unless you can mill metal like Peter Daniel that is...

Let us know if you're still keen to DIY. The best way is to start something simple - 1 channel with new components.

Synesthesia, You should start from the beginning again!
Take your time and do it step by step.sometimes we rush things and forget,overlook or do not put attention to "small" detail that in reality are "big" issues and bring us headaches...
for example: once I was in rush trying to finish my amp and did not notice that I put one of the eight diode in the wrong position,small thing but a big problem.
Good luck !:smash:

Is it a good idea to hook up a power supply like this to an 8 ohm speaker? I'm worried that although I can test it this way it might be drawing more current than the power supply can handle.

How do you know which part of the capacitor is positive and which is negative? It seems that even when I buy capacitors that never claim to be polar, they get very hot when I wire the negative end to the terminal next to the negative sign looking stripe. They do not become hot when I wire the positive to that end though. Should I assume that that for all capacitors the dashed stripe means positive side?

I do not understand why most transformers cannot have simply two inputs and two outputs. What do all of the wires do on transformers like this one? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=122-615

It appears to have 6 wires. How do you manage them?

Synesthesia, for what I can see...You need to do your homework.
caps come in Polarized and non-polarized (NP).
what you have to be careful is with the polarized caps.the dash (-) on the side of the caps is for negative and also you can see the longer leg of the cap is usually the positive. NEVER invert the polarity.the cap can explode and you can get injured especially with high voltages.
Before "playing" with voltages etc....you should know a little more how caps,diodes,resistor,transistor,transformers etc,etc.. work.

My two cents is : Be careful with what you are Playing with.high voltage can kill you easily.:eek:

Really though, when I connect the negative wire to the negative end of the capacitor it becomes really hot. Is it possible that capacitors use a different system then what I learned in school? I was taught that the negative end gives off the electrons and the positive receives. Could capacitors go by the positive emits electrons and the negative receives?

I read through the articles; good advice.

Are metal film or carbon/film resistors better for gainclones?

Are metal film or carbon/film resistors better for gainclones?

The best one is the one that makes your GC sound better to you. Possibly a mixture of both is best! :att'n:

The decibel dungeon article and a few others mentioned a voltage gain after rectification.....my transformer suffered a voltage drop of about 10v. Is it just built differently?

No, you have done something wrong. :whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.