lm 3915 vu meter problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Your breadboard should be something like this.
the blue LED is a power indicator - tells me I've attached the battery.

Attachments

• lm_meter.jpg
    lm_meter.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 61
Both pin 2 and pin 4 should go to negative, it looks like only pin 2 does.
pin 9 should go to positive for a bargraph or do not connect for a dot mode.
Make sure the LED's are the right way round >Flatside of the leds to the Chip other side to positive.

A voltage on the wire to pin 5 should light the leds. You can try this by connecting another variable resistor (potentiometer) one side to positive(+) one to Negative(-) and then the middle to pin 8
this will allow you to adjust the voltage from @ 0 to @9 volts and see the leds light.
once this works we can add the few parts needed to make it work on music signals

alan

staring at this I agree I think pin8 is grounded, my first guess was pin 9 grounded.

So Disconnect the wire from pin 8 to ground
Pin8 connects to the Potentiometer
Pin 8 also goes to one end of the resistor, the other end to pin 7. I think that is done on the board.

One suggestion to the OP make all + leads red and all - leads blue this makes it easier to troubleshoot and less likely to connect the wrong way.

Try and find a cheap digital multimeter they can be had for a few euros if you look.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I know this probably sounds obvious (this is aimed at lukutis :)) but it can help to look at each pin in turn on the IC starting at pin 1 and then confirming and checking it goes exactly where it should. Go around the IC methodically and tick them off as you check each one.

Just looking at it all as a whole and you miss things.

well we have to assume that all your connections are good (some breadboards will give you connection problems especially if you use different diameter wires in adjacent holes)
if pin 2 and 4 are connected and 2 see's ground then 4 should be grounded (only real way to know is to verify with a multimeter set to low ohm's scale)
tying pin 8 to the pot wiper will change the sensitivity (which from what your telling us isn't sensitive enough)

spiny do u mean i need to connec middle leg of variable resistor to the ground? Because my vu meter circuit does not show that :D Yes turk 182 ur tottaly right.. Its not sensitive enough .. and i need to make opamp but without multimeter there is no way i can check if its working or no :eek:

The original diagram shows the middle leg of the variable resistor connecting to one end of the variable and ground. The other end of the variable goes to pin 8

As turk suggests connect pin 9 to positive to make a bargraph.

the meter is quite sensitive without an opamp and will work off the output of a soundcard.

To make it work though I feel the original circuit is not much use and you need a diode, a capacitor and 2 resistors, see image attached.
This will give only positive voltage to the VU meter, the value of the capacitor will alter the decay time of the bar graph, try 0.1uf > 1 uf the larger the value the slower the meter.

Attachments

• VU.png
    VU.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Audioin.png
    Audioin.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 56
The original diagram shows the middle leg of the variable resistor connecting to one end of the variable and ground. The other end of the variable goes to pin 8
Yes i have them connected like u said. Where does this diode connects? i didint quite understand those IN and OUT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.