Live speaker with POE amplifier

It really comes down to what you expect from a sensitivity, output, and frequency response standpoint. A good approach for one might be a single full-range driver, while a large very high sensitivity pro audio style build might be more appropriate for others. Since you only have 8 watts per channel, you will likely need higher sensitivity drivers no matter what you decide to build.

a single full-range driver, while a large very high sensitivity pro audio style build might be more appropriate for others
something like Fane 12-250TC, Monacor SP-30PATC... ?

do you need something that has networking capabilities??

just what do you mean by "artists' cabins"? and "talent monitoring with a video display..."?
I use a Dante workflow.

Dressing room for artists (in french loge d'artiste) and talent monitoring is for me a speaker used with a video display in a separate room like for family in america's got talent. Please correct me with right words ;)

c'est pas drole la vie d'artiste!

no real correction necessary and as my mother tongue is french i should have picked up on what you where saying...assimilation is making me forget!

ok i see, this is a situation where your required to send audio to multiple locations so yes networking is pretty much needed.

mattsat is spot on with suggesting high sensitivity drivers...the Fane Sovereign gets good reviews...after that a practical box to put it in is the biggest chore.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have some amps and search for a project to use them in or do you have an existing problem which needs music reproduction you want to solve?

Very poor information for a very specialized, complicated niche product.
In a small room with 2x8 Watt you can power any "normal" speaker pair to prohibited SPL. Just don't expect high end sound quality from such POE amps.
Consider that you can't use an unlimited number of these amps on the same POE rail.

any "normal" speaker pair to prohibited SPL
Except what is a "normal" speaker, and what SPL does the original poster want? We don't know, so it helps to actually try to drill down to what is wanted instead of making blanket statements.

I've used a MiniDSP 10 watt per channel digital amplifier in a nearfield situation with lower sensitivity speakers and the amp ran out of power if pushed beyond what would be used in an office environment (what the speaker was designed for). 8 watts of class D power isn't a lot no matter how you slice it, and there are quite a few lower sensitivity speakers on the market.

the Fane Sovereign gets good reviews
I didn't use Fane products before. SOVEREIGN 12-250TC is low priced and have interesting sensibility on the paper. About the box, I will keep it simple : closed cabinet... Followind your advice, I will search for realizations with fane by others.
Do you have some amps and search for a project to use them in or do you have an existing problem which needs music reproduction you want to solve?
the chicken or the egg :spin:
I'm not happy with divine from glensound. Good functionalities but with small diameter loudspeakers (no bass, only medium). I understand that 8W is a small value but for proximity monitoring it may be enough.
I saw local adds about Stewartaudio amplifiers for 100e so It makes me want to test a diy project.

About POE, I use cisco switches, and I have some power injectors for very long lines ;)

Last edited:
The Fane is a very nice chassis for guitar and monitor speakers. The Sovereign series has been used for decades. Do not expect too much bass from it in a closed cabinet. Also, it will need quite some volume. Boosting the bass with a DSP is not really possible with 8 Watt, even a little push at the low end will overpower your amp. If it sounds too dull, a low cost piezo, used correctly, will help.
If you want bass and do not really need POE for some unknown reason, any good low cost amp, like an Ayima A07 would be a 100 times better solution, at a lower price point.
With 8 Watt you are in a region where people seeking bass turn to horn constructions. Usually valve amp fanatics...
A vented cabinet can at least give you 3dB more bass, this is just like boosting a closed box with 16 Watt.

thank you friends for directing me and confirming towards this speaker model.

I can switch to Yamaha XMV4280-D Dante (4x280W 8Ω/4Ω, 4x250W 100V/70V) if I need sound re-enforcement. ;) Today the idea is to get better listening by doubling cone's diameter and increasing the volume of the speaker.
I wish to retain the flexibility of poe/dante speaker. in the case of remote workflows.
I also appreciate the savings achieved with your advice (300e for diy vs 1000e divine speaker) !

I was thinking of a closed enclosure because my tooling is limited but a vented enclosure may be feasible accordind to your suggestion. Any speakers plans to share ? :cool:

may be something like this from kaffimann member or even a wedge.

Attachments

• kaffiman.jpg
    kaffiman.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 14
I still do not really understand what you want / need / like.
A very good, low cost and surprisingly bass producing speaker is this little horn-reflex construction. In a small room you don't even miss a subwoofer.
I use it with very weak amps and the sound is a bit audiophile in a positive way.
https://oaudio.de/Kit-CT-256-W4-655

Even smaller look for "Cheap Trick CT 265" with a 3" chassis, incredible performance you would never expect. Not for large rooms and excessive SPL.
The CT 265 can be build with many Tangband and some other drivers. The horn-reflex cabinet is very tollerant to TSP.

I don't see what he wants, so I showed him the other side of the spectrum.
With 8 Watt your options are somehow limited.
Please note that tools are limited too, probably he is no woodworker (at all). So what shall I offer him other than a box with maybe a hole in it?
Just enter the TSP of the 12" into WinISD and see what you get from 8 Watt at what cabinet size.
A 15" will have an even better efficiency. The final and best 8 Watt solution would be a Klipschorn. Sorry, a pair.