Live sound specific Tapped Horn thread...

Was just about to ask if there was a final, confirmed Furysub layout. I've seen a few posts to which screamersusa noted that they were 'just about' correct. Great work, runrod. I like your braces. Attractive, simple and functional.

Is it documented anywhere as to how low it is to play this sub safely/where screamersusa recommends to high-pass the Furysub? 60 or 63V, no?

Hi Cresendo,

Thanks for the comments on my build. Unfortunately, there was a couple of pretty big dips in the responce curve of that build, so I decided to not build any more. Instead I built this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/170771-single-sheet-th-challenge-36.html

It's smaller, easier and cheaper to build and just as loud amazingly enough. Even the lower end responce was better, in spite of the high pass filter in my amp being set a 50hz. :)

Hi,
I'm new to the forums but was a 'silent' reader until now. I'm a bass enthusiast and very interested in the TH design, especially the DSL TH28 and TH212. Are there any sims and/or drawings around?

Thanks
Fabian
Fabian,
As mRgSr points out, don't look for copies here (though there is one "unintentional" copy of the DSL TH-118 ;)) and the Fury sub is roughly similar to the TH-115, other than it uses a floppy lightweight cone rather than one appropriate for high volume, low distortion TH use .

The DSL TH-28 and TH-212 are quite different in size, output and LF corner, the TH28 is -3 dB at 43 Hz, the TH-212 -3 dB at 29.5 Hz.

You might decide what you are looking for in size, output and LF corner, then pick one of the many TH designs here that fit your needs.

Art

Thanks for the answers!

@ m R g S r: nah just buying something is boring isn't it? ;). Your design looks promising. Would it be possible to move the mouth to the side instead of the front?

@ Art: isn't the TH-212 -3 dB at 38Hz?

I'm 'working' (as a hobby in my sparetime) for a small dance club in our town. It's more or less a family business and budget is always tight as you could imagine. In the next one or two years we're planning to do a makeover of the club and I want to improve the sound system. At the moment it consists of 2-3 15'' bandpass subs and 4x 12'' wedges for the dancefloor (~80 people, ~100dB(a) max). The club is in the basement so there are low ceilings and narrow walls. A nightmare in terms of accoustics. When the architects were designing it, no one thought about subwoofers with a depth of more than 24''... So I came across the THs with the horns mouth on the side so the whole thing could be sunk into a wall. This would be a perfect match for 1-2 TH-212s or DIY alternatives.
The TH-28 (or single 8) would be a nice one for a delay line on the ceiling for the rest of the club. The music that is mostly played is Top40 so 40Hz-ish low end would be absolutely enough.
I'd like to build and/or design the subs myself just to learn something. (BTW This forum is a great place for learning ;) )

Fabian

@ Art: isn't the TH-212 -3 dB at 38Hz?

The TH-28 (or single 8) would be a nice one for a delay line on the ceiling for the rest of the club. The music that is mostly played is Top40 so 40Hz-ish low end would be absolutely enough.
Fabian,

There are actually several DSL TH-212, the one I referenced is attached.

Tapped horns do have more forward directivity in the upper range than front loaded subs, but at LF they are still omni.

Delaying a sub is not a good idea, the rear radiation will be (more) out of sync in the overlap zone, and may cause more damage than good.

Art

Attachments

• TH 212.png
    TH 212.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 802
Fabian,

There are actually several DSL TH-212, the one I referenced is attached.

Tapped horns do have more forward directivity in the upper range than front loaded subs, but at LF they are still omni.

Delaying a sub is not a good idea, the rear radiation will be (more) out of sync in the overlap zone, and may cause more damage than good.

Art
The TH212 that's much more familiar is this one

TH212 | Danley Sounds Labs | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

which is -3dB at 38Hz -- I've never seen the one posted above.

Attachments

• DSL TH-212 A,B, C,.png
    DSL TH-212 A,B, C,.png
    140 KB · Views: 789
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

HI EVERYONE,

I LIVE IN THE CAYMAN ISLANDS AND I CURRENTLY HAVE 16 PEAVEY LOWRIDERS 18"

I WANT THE BEST SUB DESIGN POSSIBLE. I WANT MAXIMUM OUTPUT...

I LIKE THE TAPPED HORN VERY INTERESTING..

SO FAR I CONSIDERED XOC-TH18, ORTHON, I WANT TO KNOW WHATS THE BEST

I PLAY REGGAE AND DANCEHALL MOSTLY.

ANOTHER THING I LOOKED AT IS THE JTR ORBIT SHIFTER PRO AND IF TAPPED IS NOT THE BEST FIT THEN CAN SOMEONE STEER ME IN THE CORRECT DIRECTION.

THANKS