• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

LITZ output trafo

Status
Not open for further replies.
to MOOLY

I agree with you.

While I am trying to understand what I am doing posting a lot of tests some other members wrote tons on words without any practical tests.

Is it acceptable?

In my opinion no.

If I am wrong, please show me why with the same quality about test set and results.

The Litz trafo has a BW of more than 65 KHz at -3dB at 8 watt in s.e. !!
I wrote that I will have better low freq. response also to have a better THD but consider it like a trash is not acceptable.
And I am waiting a new one, as already wrote.

I ask to show the performance of an an equivalent s.e. trafo with normal wire but without success.

I know the medium quality of standard s.e. trafo, I test some in past and I am waiting some stuff (that I paid) just for test and compare.

Walter

Walter,
You opened the thread; you presented a litz wire output transformer and claimed it to have better properties than a normal magnet wire output transformer.
For comparison you also presented a normal magnet wire output transformer, wound on a different (EI) core with different dimensions and overall specifications.
Because of the different dimensions, cores and overall specifications these two output transformers cannot be compared for subtile changes in the wires used.
From the beginning we asked for correct specifications, which you have not been able to provide.
You did not take the effort to consult your winder to provide us with the correct data but instead did some "corrections" which were inconsistent and not plausible.
For the majority of us it is easiest to deny the better properties of litz wire for audio transformers because the better properties are not into play at audio frequencies; however in my opinion the subject is interesting but requires careful set up. There has not been a good test set up until now.
You are waiting for a larger litz wire wound transformer with better low frequency bandwidth, but will you also have a "same" transformer wound with normal magnet wire to do the comparisons?
You are "asking to show the performance of an an equivalent s.e. trafo with normal wire" but if you want to demonstrate the better properties of litz wire for audio transformers, showing that is up to you, not us.
If you don't come up with a good comparison, you are not making any progress.
The discussion on the "pro's" of litz wire will remain a useless affair this way, provoking other off topic subjects entering the discussion.
In the meantime we had off topic discussions on unity coupling / UL circuits, and now "where to buy cores".....
My expectations wrt to the thread subject rapidly approach level zero....

Last edited:
right you are pieter t, but since walter is not the designer himself, let us just hope the real designer feed him the correct information so he can post here...some things are lost in translation...

for me, a connection diagram, a cross sectioning drawing, and the like is enough imho to unravel this mystery....

Just Q can and should be managed, few have written about it, but there are already relevant materials in the audio press. http://www.next-tube.com/articles/Veen/VeenEN.pdf

Can you please explain the difference between Q factor mentioned by Anatoliy (aka Wavebourn) related to the use of Litzendraht wire and Q factor in your cited paper?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.