• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Little 6BQ5 am squealing....HELP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All, some time ago I bought the little Maggie 6BQ5 amp that I just now fired up. When I fired it up, it started putting out a high pitched tone that changed pitch when I turn the volume control but didn't change volume. Any idea what the issue might be???

The drive is a 6EU7 and the rec tube is a 6GA4. I disconnected the inputs and it still does it.

Here is the scheem.

Attachments

• maggie.jpg
    maggie.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 309
eBay sellers often haven't got a whisper of a clue about packing this stuff for shipment. Were the tubes well-packed, separately from the chassis? Can you sub in some spares? If the tubes are good and it was working prior to shipment, and everything's intact under the chassis, then suspicion usually falls on electrolytic caps.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> this is my computer system

Apologies if you tried this. Move it away from the computer. Try with just say an iPod source. Computers are notorious whine sources.

I shudder to think how much that faux-57-Chevy styling cost, and how little was spent on the insides. I've built guts uglier than that, but not for others. I don't see a smoking gun, but I would like wires from input jacks to vol-pot to first grids shielded in most cases.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.