litres to box size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Svante said:

:D

I find it fascinating that one can have the same problem with the metric system as I have with feet and inches. And cubic feet. My feet are not cubical :D

Yeah, I know eh! I have never seen a person with cubic feet.

:D I am surprised of this actually given how the Orientals bound women`s feet to keep them small (a cruel form of containment mold) and how farmers can grow square water mellons etc, the same way. The Germans would appear to have been successful at some point with apparently some form of head mold if folklore is true.

BTW there is no such thing as a "cubic litre". Litre itself is a volume measure, equivalent to "cubic foot" or "gallon".

If you desperately want the word "cubic" in the unit then use it combined with the unit of length, eg "cubic metre" (=1000 litres) or "cubic decimetre" (=1 litre).[/B]

My metric rant would not have worked if I could not take literary liscense and invent the cubic litre. :D I think I`ll leave decimeters in the same circular file where I keep nano farads thank you.

1 cubic foot = 3.048x3.048x3.048 = 28.3 litres
1 litre = 1/28.3 = 0.0353 cuft.
[/B]

Yes 28 litres to the cubic foot was what I had been using as a conversion.

1 litre = 1 cubic decimetre = 1000 cubic centimetre = .001 cubic metre (1 decimetre = 10 centimetres).

As 10 centimetres is approximately 4 inches (within 2%), 1 litre is approximately 64 cubic inches (it's actually ~61, but when you're not using a calculator...).

planet10 said:

In Canada a football field is 110 yds, in the US 100 yds. I understand that soccer & rugby pitcjes are variable in size.

dave

[Off topic]
Rugby pitches are limited to a maximum size, but they can be smaller. They are a maximum of 69 metres wide (but can be slimmer) and have a line 5 metres from each touchline (sideline) and 'marks' on each line that are 15 metres from each touchline (these are to take taps from).
The in-field area is to be no longer than 100 metres long (but again, can be shorter), and the in-goal (end zone) area is a maximum of 22 metres (but can be as little as 10 metres). There is the half-way line :)) which is halfway down the pitch :)), the 22 metre lines (which are 22 metres from the goal line) and the 10 metre lines (which are 10 metres from the half-way line). I believe, although I am not certain, that the minimum distance from the 22 metre lines to the 10 metre lines should be 5 metres, making the minimum length 74 metres.
The reason behind this is to allow pitches to be created in areas where a full-sized pitch will not fit (same way as snooker tables can be smaller than full-sized).
As the Rugby World Cup starts in a week in France (and, yes, the US is fielding a team), you should brush up on this.

And, we're just starting our finals series here for Australian Rules Football, where the field is pretty much the shape of the footballs we play the game with (oval shaped) - which is why they're called "footy ovals". They can be 135-185 metres long and 110-155 metres wide. Funnily enough, the goal posts are still 7 yards apart (although now they call it 6.4 metres). If you gat a chance to see this on the TV you should take a look. It's fast and exciting, with some players running more than 13 miles during the course of an 80 minute game.
[/Off topic]

planet10 said:

(a+b) is to a as a is to b

0.618034 : 1 : 1.618034... to 5 decimal places

It occurs naturally all over the place so is VERY old, but the Greeks popularized it.

dave

I watched an interesting program, with John Cleese as the presenter and Liz Hurley as one of the models, where they showed that beautiful is often a result of the faces' dimensions being close or equal to the golden ratio. Like length of nose to width of nose, width of mouth to width of eyes, width of face to width of mouth, etc. Liz Hurley was, naturally, perfect and John Cleese was not...:D

Incidentally the golden ratio (phi) is found by this equation -
0fde30fb56cc0a8d2f3ce48dadb2e1db.png
- which you can feed into an Excel spreadsheet (if you ensure you have Iteration turned on in the Calculation section of Options) as "=SQRT(A1+1)" in cell A1.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.