listening test to identify strengths and weaknesses

Hi everyone.
I would like to do a serious and reliable test to hear how my K12 prototype reproduces acoustic waves using my ears.
I say this because I happened to compare some links on YouTube. although the music was all the same I tried to listen from many different links and what I heard wasn't all the same.
Before blaming my K12 I want to be sure that the signal coming from the amplifier is correct.
I'm interested in hearing the low frequencies but also the mids, especially the human voice.
do you suggest me? Thank you

I say this because I happened to compare some links on YouTube. although the music was all the same I tried to listen from many different links and what I heard wasn't all the same.
there is no point in comparing different youtube links... you dont know what the one who uploaded the video did to the audio

Also there are huge differences between music i listen on deezer and the official releases on youtube.... its just not comparable reliably

Reactions: 1 users
Judging sound through You Tube is exact same as judging cleanliness through this car window 😎
IMG_20240514_183604.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
in my room transformed into a rudimentary laboratory I enjoy building and dismantling audio containers and lately I have been struggling to understand what are the causes of the defects of the K12 that I recently built in order to find the right path and make improvements. (a strange obsession has taken over my head and I can't get rid of it) because when I listen to it I hear a box effect .
to test it I use a PC, sound card and amplifier because it is the simplest way. I also tried some HI RES 32 bit YouTube links but if you tell me that I can't find anything good on YouTube then I'll look elsewhere for some songs to download, possibly for free.
any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Last edited:
[As an older member] I cannot stress strongly enough how important it is to have ones hearing properly tested every two years or so. If, for whatever reason, we have ears
that are not perfect that fact will have to be considered before any other. This is very important - especially if you have any hearing anomalies - these do not have to be age related.

Secondly, the effect of the listening room [size, height, reflective surfaces, furnishings, curtains, floor coverings etc] is of great importance.

When these factors are well understood the overall working of the complete system can begin to be considered and only after this can the individual parts of the system be considered.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
in my room transformed into a rudimentary laboratory I enjoy building and dismantling audio containers and lately I have been struggling to understand what are the causes of the defects of the K12 that I recently built in order to find the right path and make improvements. (a strange obsession has taken over my head and I can't get rid of it) because when I listen to it I hear a box effect .
to test it I use a PC, sound card and amplifier because it is the simplest way. I also tried some HI RES 32 bit YouTube links but if you tell me that I can't find anything good on YouTube then I'll look elsewhere for some songs to download, possibly for free.
any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Is your only source for music youtube?

//

[As an older member] I cannot stress strongly enough how important it is to have ones hearing properly tested every two years or so. If, for whatever reason, we have ears
that are not perfect that fact will have to be considered before any other. This is very important - especially if you have any hearing anomalies - these do not have to be age related.

Secondly, the effect of the listening room [size, height, reflective surfaces, furnishings, curtains, floor coverings etc] is of great importance.

When these factors are well understood the overall working of the complete system can begin to be considered and only after this can the individual parts of the system be considered.

Good luck.
could my mind be deceived by the ways of the room?.
my ears and head suggest that the culprit is the speaker casing instead the box effect I hear could be caused by the room?. I tried to use the EQ pace software combined with apo while listening to music and something changed .

A revealing test of any speaker/room combination is to record a track played on the system (at high quality), then play back the recording and record that. Repeat this ten times and the final playback will tell your ears all you need to know - just like photocopying a photocopy many times, it won't be pretty!

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
although the music was all the same I tried to listen from many different links and what I heard wasn't all the same.
No offense, I believe you are doing the exact opposite of what common sense would suggest. ;)
Do you think your system isn't good enough because when you listen to different links of the same piece you hear different things?
Well, I think the exact opposite since if you can hear differences it means that your system is better than I thought (at least giving credit to your ears).

In any case, in addition to all the good advice you have already been given here, to check if you can hear differences in the sound of your speakers depending on what you change in any element of your speakers you should start from a fixed and immovable reference source of good quality that satisfies you including good quality traces, then you could also try to see if you can detect any differences, in my opinion.

May I know how much your home-built loudspeakers cost?

Last edited:
Check out Harman how to listen software. If you do the tests you'd familiarize yourself to what a colorized speaker might sound, or perhaps spot if there are resonances somewhere, whether frequency balance is good or thin or boomy and so on. Importance with this is that you get more familiar what you actually can hear, and what you cannot, and then train yourself some. Do the test with headphones, purpose with the test is to chart and develop your own listening skill, which you can then utilize to develop speakers afterwards.

Beyond the Harman test it's still very hard to hear how the room affects, it's hard to understand what the effect of room is on top of speakers if there is nothing to AB test against. You could take your speakers outside and listen without room, but rapid AB test is tough still, which you'd need to figure out proper positioning for example. For this I've found listening test that works for me with my speakers and room but do not know if this is universal and if it works for every speakers in every room for every person. I've tried to explain it many times on this and on another forum, unfortunately don't have links at hand other than one https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-create-magical-sweet-spot.52303/post-1891598 but if you get interested you'll find them by searching.

In short, there appears to be relatively easy listening test try and spot change in perception due to our own auditory system! If you do find it, you can then utilize your own auditory system to AB test how speakers work with room, and a lot more. Really fun stuff :)

Last edited:
  • Thank You
There are many sites offering high quality Music.
You will typically have to subscribe and pay a small fee, so what?

If you want musical variety for ZERO $, tune one of these high quality lossless format Internet radios, you will be surprised.

Very near CD quality, this is what I use at my workshop when I must focus on the job being done and can't waste time and neurons picking what to listen at, just pick one station whose taste aligns with mine and let it blast.
https://www.24bit96.com/24bit96khz-download-sites/hd-internet-radio-streams.html

Absolutely free, and excellent Music.

• Thank You
No offense, I believe you are doing the exact opposite of what common sense would suggest. ;)
Do you think your system isn't good enough because when you listen to different links of the same piece you hear different things?
Well, I think the exact opposite since if you can hear differences it means that your system is better than I thought (at least giving credit to your ears).

In any case, in addition to all the good advice you have already been given here, to check if you can hear differences in the sound of your speakers depending on what you change in any element of your speakers you should start from a fixed and immovable reference source of good quality that satisfies you including good quality traces, then you could also try to see if you can detect any differences, in my opinion.

May I know how much your home-built loudspeakers cost?
no !. I think the words written by me are not clear. the aim was to know if you can find high quality music online, possibly free, to test the casing of my speaker to test the low frequencies, the human voice and the medium frequencies. I want to do a targeted listening, there are pieces of music more suitable than others for doing this.
The first place I looked was YouTube and there I found music created specifically for the speaker test.
then I found HI-RES audio music which seems to be of good quality.
As I wrote at the beginning, before blaming my K12 I want to be sure that the music supplied to the amplifier is of a suitable quality for this purpose.

I found HI-RES audio music which seems to be of good quality.
Glad to hear this and sorry if I completely misunderstood your post (foreign languages aren't really my strong point). :rolleyes:

I'm also glad I saw you got a couple of great replies on your topic. (y)

Edit to add: I suggest you don't exaggerate with the number of tracks, IMO you only need a few well-recorded ones that you will gradually begin to know perfectly.
Only after having made them "yours" then you will be able to realize how to use them for your specific purpose. ;)

Last edited: