List of DACs Under $450

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The new Decware ZDAC-1 for the under a grand category.
Audiophile Tube Amps and Tube Gear from DECWARE

I'm sorry Dave but this Decware DAC is a complete rip off. look at this thread page, post #2906:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/137976-experience-diy-dac-291.html

The DAC that Decware uses is this chinese DAC from ebay:

Gigawork 24/192 Up-sampling DAC DA CONVERTER w/ USB kit on eBay (end time 26-Aug-10 09:00:30 BST)

Shocking really. Just buy the ebay kit and save hundreds of dollars. The ebay DAC is actually very good.

Dolby Digital A/V receivers are officially obsolete thanks to HDMI. I've seen a couple under $50 at thrift shops and pawnbrokers. Some have preamp outs.

Dolby Digital add-on processors like the Technics SH-AC300 and 500D. While there were similar boxes from other brands, I believe the Technics SH-AC500D sold in much higher numbers because it was the only processor under $1000 to do DTS as well as DD. And it made a perfectly usable standalone processor when combined with separate power amps.

There were or are some DD processors made for autosound and as add-ons to computer speakers. Not common, and overpriced on eBay, but you may stumble upon one locally. I picked up two car DD/DTS processors for $25 each on a clearance table at a car stereo shop.

And, finally, digital recorders like Minidisc, DCC, DAT or CDR should have digital inputs and therefore could function as DACs.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice list. DACs have gotten so cheap I am contemplating just buying one vs DIY. Just finished a Hypex amplifier. My old preamp is broken. So I am mainlining an old Sony ES CD player into the Hypex as the Sony has a adjustable,via remote, variable output.
I am thinking about the Matrix-mini or the Emotiva, as I would like to have balanced out and also, for the short term, a volume control. Tho I think the digital volume controls are crappy due to lost bits.

I did not see any mention of e-bay specials out of guess where? I have several. One was so bad I sent it back. (A Wolfson that had dropouts and noise) Another is clearly better than it's price and has a fair headphone amp in it too ( BB ). Needs a serious power supply upgrade and some tweaking on the analog, but a really good base for DIY.

Last edited:
So I've had the e17 for a little bit now and it seems pretty good so far. No hiss at 0 gain but there is some when you turn the gain up but that's to be expected. SQ is definitely better than what my macbook pro puts out through the headphone jack - the bass is much better and there's less noise.

It'll mainly be used for my playstation though, so the only music this thing is going to be reproducing is gunfire :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.