List of audio "VIPs" and commercial affiliations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Life is not that simple. Wise people sometimes talk nonsense. Fools sometimes (accidentally?) talk sense.

The way to tell whether someone is wise or a fool is to correct them when they talk nonsense. The wise man will thank you. The fool will insult you. (King Solomon said something vaguely similar to this, a long long time ago.)

Right. I think mr_push_pull is worried about people being dishonest or to say it in other words, people who talk like a crap salesman with a mouth full of samples. I don't see that kind of behavior here but then, I don't read all the threads. I remember some problems with a Chinese seller but apart from that...I think time puts everyone in their place which is an old Spanish saying. If you spend enough time here you learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.

What I see in many forums is the requirement that anyone with industry affiliations clearly identify themselves with a suffix to their IDs or with a disclosing signature.

The difference is, this is a technical forum. You get technical questions. You answer them using data, plausibility arguments from first principles, simulation, or handwaving. It's usually pretty clear which you're doing. It's different in that way from non-technical "audiophile" forums, where people don't get hard questions (or have rules in place that don't allow them). "Industry affiliation" is, to me, an amazingly fuzzy concept here- if you do chip design, are you an "industry affiliate"?

The difference is, this is a technical forum. You get technical questions. You answer them using data, plausibility arguments from first principles, simulation, or handwaving. It's usually pretty clear which you're doing. It's different in that way from non-technical "audiophile" forums, where people don't get hard questions (or have rules in place that don't allow them). "Industry affiliation" is, to me, an amazingly fuzzy concept here- if you do chip design, are you an "industry affiliate"?
That is not my argument as I do agree that the arguments must stand on their own, regardless of the credentials of the writer. I was responding to an expressed interest in identification/affiliation because of a perception that some might be misled by posts cloaking a commercial interest.

Actually, I was not suggesting a generic label of "Industry Affiliate" but more specific labels, such as "chip designer" as a simple and benign alternative to making lists.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I'm not sure I follow you. Could you give me an example? Feel free to make up names. :D

Cap Lover
Electrode replacer
Physics affiliate
Meccano master
Temporary imbecile
Apprentice solder user
Tongue tester
Member of the suicide squad
Spark erroder
Injection moulder
Pimp my amp affiliate
And VIP member of the valves make money squad.

Sorry can't resist..

Regards
M. Gregg

The question then becomes what of the person who makes up a title to give their argument more weight? This would be the equivalent on a mechanical engineering forum to someone claiming to be a mechanical engineer and giving advice that is used to do something that could be dangerous due to the receiver of the information taking the advice as fact, when it could only be an opinion.

By the time someone may realize or may never realize the information is faulty the damage is done. It is better to understand that much information is only opinion, unless it is acknowledged that someone has some professional background and will stand behind their statements as fact. Let the listener beware, keep an open mind but question everything, look for confirmation before belief.

for instance when industry people are involved I see less of the amp rolling or cap swapping craze.
in a forum with hundreds of thousands of posts one needs criteria of selection. studies have shown that often simpler metrics give incredibly good results.
and I have no problem with keeping the list to myself :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
There is more to this,

Think outside the box..so we identify J bloggs builds chips for military guidance systems...fred s...is linked to nuclear power stations....etc
Or is it just people linked to the audio field? So a designer of TV's would not count?

Regards
M. Gregg

Sy,
Without naming names I have seen this happen in another thread. The person is a well known person and has credentials that would make you believe that they are giving just the facts, but I have notices the vitriol towards someone else product, the snide knocking of an alternative product. At the same time the audience can be very much in awe of that person and don't seem to question some of the statements, like boutique caps for audiophiles they just line up like lemmings and drink the Kool Aid!

Not hyenas, but seekers after truth! Something boils in my guts when I see someone selling ordinary stuff at an expensive price, or useless stuff at any price, or being paid to write complete garbage in magazines. Of course, it's a free market but at least the gullible punters ought to be warned. Sadly, the warnings are often brushed aside by fanboys, who then accuse us of being nasty because we rain on someone's parade. Those of us in the UK of course have to be careful what we say, but people in the free world can say that rubbish is rubbish.

DF96,
I thought you had the same freedom to what you want as long as it isn't slanderous. I thought the UK was still a democracy following parliamentary law? Truth is always a defense, and opinion stated as such has never been a prosecutable offense.

But Big Brother is watching and that is now the US government.

At the same time the audience can be very much in awe of that person and don't seem to question some of the statements, like boutique caps for audiophiles they just line up like lemmings and drink the Kool Aid!

And how would disclosure of this person's occupation change anything? People who like stories, like stories.

At the Axpona show I attended, I listened politely as a cable salesman explained to a couple of eager audiophiles that he used to always have systems that cost at least $200,000 in his home, but these cables are so good that he now uses them and is content with a $40,000 system. Despite the fact that he was a salesman for this product, these guys ate it all up and couldn't wait to get a set. Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair for believing this, but I strongly feel that no explanation of basic physics would have dissuaded these guys from dropping thousands of dollars on a pair of 1 meter RCA cables.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.